repairing a hole

So as happy as I am that someone is wearing what I’ve knit, my sister has returned her fingerless gloves to me to repair a hole.
What is my best way to do that, what I’ve attemped has looked like a mess so I ripped it out, I thought I could provisionally cast on and do a little 1" square and just try and patch it on top and see if it’ll blend in. My trouble came to trying to figure out the wrong side stitches on a pattern that is done in the round (thus no wrong side…)
I got very confused (is knit1 thru the back loop just purl on the wrong side… ahh) thus here I am.
Hopefully it’s okay to post the chart of the pattern.
Sorry for the terrible phone pictures.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/goodhello/janes-barathea-mitts

Oh gosh, that’s a pity. They’re lovely mitts.
You might try the method used at the end of this tutorial, the red square:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATrepairs101.html
If there’s a place where you can pick up sts above and below the hole, you’d have to re-knit the pattern to fill in.

1 Like

Thanks! sigh…
I think that’s what I was originally thinking of (with the square), but it didn’t work in my mind because I’d have a right side and a wrong side of my little patch.
But it makes more sense to try and do a patch in place where I can knit the pattern as is, I think.

I’m not a very experienced knitter, but surely if you were to pick up and knit the stitches tbl as before it would look the same?

If you have any more of that yarn, honestly, the easiest way to do it would be to frog back to before the hole and knit the damaged one again.
If not, try this:
First, run a piece of waste yarn (something slick in a different color) around the edges of the hole, through the yarn, so it doesn’t get worse.
Second, and this is incredibly fiddly, see whether there are loose bits of yarn that need to be cleared before you can do anything. You may have to use a yarn needle and sort of flick them out of the way.
Third, use a darning needle to run the mending yarn through a few stitches on the inside of the mitt, then start copying stitches on the row just below the hole, running the yarn right through what’s already there. That should keep the stitch count the same, and you can put the new stitches on a needle while you’re working. From there, it’ll be a matter of seeing which stitch is a knit and which should be a purl. Kitchener the top of the patch with the top of the hole and bury the arn through a bunch of stitches on the inside again.

Like I said, it’s likely easier to re-knit the whole thing!