Recommend a Yarn

I need help finding the right yarn. I want to knit a couch throw. The yarn has to be bulky weight wool or wool blend. BUT it needs to be super soft, non shedding. Being a beginner I am so overwhelmed by the choices. Thanks y’all! After knitting dozens of dishrags, I’m ready to do something!

Welcome!
There are lots of yarns that’ll work, I’m sure. I’ve used Cascade 128 for baby blankets. It works well and is soft.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/cascade-yarns-128-superwash
Over on the right of the Ravelry page you can see the user rating and the project’s link. It may help to see how others have used the yarn.

Are you needing something you can find in a big box store (Michaels, Joann, etc.) or does your budget allow for other options? Does it need to be machine-washable? Do you need good stitch definition?

One way to narrow things down since you’re looking for soft is to search by merino instead of wool. Although, merino might pill more over time.

Merinos - Knit Picks Swish Bulky is superwash. Rowan Cocoon might be an option if you can handle mohair in the blend. Malabrigo Chunky is pretty fabulous if it’s in your budget. Valley Yarns Superwash Bulky is pretty nice and budget conscious.

Wool Blends - Cascade Ecological Wool is pretty popular, as is Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky. Plymouth Encore Chunky, Berroco Vintage Chunky and Ella Rae Classic Chunky Superwash might also be good options to consider. I’ve used the Wool-Ease and the Ella Rae on hats and thought they were pretty soft.