Question re: "every 4 rnds" and "every 2 rnds"

As I approach the neck of this stupid sweater, I fear that I am going to have many questions for you experienced knitters…

The pattern said to do some decreases, and then work 3 rounds even. No problem. Now it says “decrease in this manner every 4 rnds 1 time more. Then repeat decrease rnd every 2 rnds 16 times.” (And after 4.5 inches I’m supposed to simultaneously do something else, but I don’t even want to go there yet!)

So after the three rounds even, I did another decrease round. Now I’m not sure if I do four rounds and then decrease again, or if I do three and decrease on the fourth? And not sure if “every 2 rnds” means every other round, or every third round?

I’m sure this has been answered before, but I haven’t had any coffee since this morning, and my brain hurts…

Thanks in advance!

Pattern directions are [U]very literal[/U].

I find it helpful to write out my directions. Such as in your case:

[COLOR=Red]Round 1-3: even[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Rounds 4-6: even [3 rounds even]
Round 7: decrease as set forth [4th round of the sequence]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Rounds 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 37: even
Rounds 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39: do decreases as set forth
[NOTE: Rounds 8-39 fullfill the job of dec every other round 16 times]

[COLOR=Black]Now you mention that something else might need to occur within (at the same time as) Rounds 1-39. Just figure where they should occur and write that requirement in the appropriate round as an extra special chore.

I have been knitting since the Flood, and I still write out my ‘job requirements’. It prevents errors, and really, after the writing out is done, the knitting just sails along. You know exactly [U]what[/U] you should do, [U]when[/U] and [U]where[/U]! No guessing, no frogging.

Hope this helps…and I am certain that other knitters may also have something helpful to add!

Knit on Good Woman! :knitting:

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Thank you, ArtLady! I actually do write out every single step, but I wasn’t sure what to write for this one. I think I’ll just print out your reply and stick it in my knitting book!

I guess I already decreased when I shouldn’t have, but I’ll try to get back on track. Something tells me that will be the least of my worries when this mess finally comes off the needles!

Thanks again.

No it sounds as if you did it right, you k 3 rounds, then decreased; so you decreased on the 4th round. After the 2nd dec on the 4th round, then you switch to every other round.