Question pattern reading

My pattern is as follows.
Row 1: k1,p1, repeat to last at, k1
Row2: p1,*k1,p1, repeat from *to end
Row3: p1, *k1, p1, repeat from * to end
Row4: *k1, p1, repeat from *to last st, k1
Here begins my problem.
Row 5: Patt 3, cast off 2 STS, Patt to last 5 STS, cast off 2 STS, patt. 2

What is patt? I think it means pattern…pattern being k1, p1. I should repeat this pattern 3 times then cast off two stitches, ther repeat k1 p1 to last 5 STS, then cast off 2 then k1 p1 twice?

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Yes, patt means pattern and you’re to continue the alternate knits and purls as established.
This doesn’t seem to be a straightforward rib however so I’m not sure of the pattern for row 5.
Which pattern is it? Can you copy and paste a link or give us a pattern name?

Yes. It looks like a 4 row pattern. So row 5 would be nearly the same as row 1.

Row 5 would be k1 p1, the next 3 stitches is where you would bind off 2. Try to bind off in pattern: k1 p1 pass the second stitch from the end over the end stitch and off the needle k1 pass the second stitch from the end over the end stitch off the needle. After binding off, the right needle should have 2 stitches, a small gap and 1 more stitch. Continue in the pattern beginning with a p stitch until there are 5 stitches left. Then repeat the bind off steps. It should be the same as before–the next stitch should be k1.

Here is a link to a video showing how to do it. She is following a different stitch pattern but the technique is the same.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Like