Question on directions on Burridge Lake afghan

I want to make this afghan and I don’t have any problem with the pattern, but I have never tried to follow a chart, and don;t know how to read this chart; I know you are supposed to read from right to left, except when it starts on a WS, but I just don’t get this whole thing! Please, please help me decipher how to start this pattern. I have already cast on the 106 stitches. I have included a link.http://www.magknits.com/Oct07/patterns/burridge.htm
Thanks a bunch.

Alice B

you are going to be working on individual panels and then stitch all the panels together to make the afghan (and it’s a gorgeous afghan, btw). The table just shows you the layout of the patterns in the first panel. The first column shows the border and it is 5 sts wide. You’ll look at the notes below for any additional instructions.

Next is the woven braid which is 10 sts wide and is a 4 row repeat. You’ll start it on row 1.

The next thing you’ll do in this particular panel is just a p2, k2.

Then comes the trinity stitch which is 28 sts wide and is a 4 row repeat. Just like the woven braid you’ll begin this on row 1.

After that you’ll begin the saxon braid - 24 sts wide and 16 row repeat. Again, start on row 1.

So on and so forth except for the 2nd repeat of the trinity stitch which you’ll start on row 3 and the last woven braid will be started on row 3 (though I’m honestly baffled why this would be. Not sure what you should do between the last P2, K2, and the right side border. Any ideas, anyone? I’m going to assume it’s a typo and write the first row as such.)

Below the table it shows you the detailed directions to do each pattern. To do the entire first row, you’ll start with row 1 of the border, row 1 of the woven braid, p2, k2, row 1 of the trinity stitch, k2, p2, row 1 of the saxon braid, etc,.

The first row you do would literally be written out like this:

(Border)P2, K2, sl1, (woven braid) C4B, C4B, k2, (Trinity stitch) P18, (Saxon braid) P2, C4B, p4, C4B, p4, C4B, p2, (small separation) P2, K2, (Trinity stitch) P18, (small separation) K2, P2, (woven braid) C4B, C4B, k2, (border) P2, K3

I have no idea if I explained that well or not. I know what I mean, but putting it down clearly is a whole other ball of wax. :zombie: :??

Isn’t that just the most beautiful pattern?

It’s beautiful, and I wouldn’t mind doing the panels, but seaming them together would be too much for me. Somehow, though, I keep going back and looking at it. Sure would look good on the end of my bed . . .

i am making this afghan. although i modified the pattern, changing one of the cable patterns. i have put the pattern stitches in a grid that is easier for me to work from – i have never mastered reading charts with symbols… if you’d like a copy, send me a pm with your email. i’ll email you my “word document” –

Hi
Thank you so much for your answer, but I still have some questions, so please indulge me;

1. When you wrote out how the first row would be written out you said to do the Border, woven braid, but left out the K2P2, Trinity stitch, left out the K2P2,… Was that intentional?
  2. When you wrote this pattern out, you said to (Border) P2,K2,sl1;which is the RS underneath the WS in the Notes row. Are we reading from left to right?
  3. At the end of the written out pattern, you say :(Border) P2K3, why are using that from the top of the right row when we did not use it at the top of the front left of the row?
  4. How do I start the second row and carry it to the end of the row?
    Many many thanks if you can understand all this!!!
    Alice B

Bah - you’re right. I did leave out some of the steps on row 1. That’s what I get for having 2 windows on the computer open and flipping back & forth between them. Basically you’ll just follow the written instructions and just make sure you’re on the same row for all of them. In row 1 of the first panel (which will be the right side, or RS, of your work - you’ll need to pay attention to that for the first & last set of 5 sts. Notice on the RS of the work for the first set you’ll always do a P2, k2, Sl1 but when you’re on the wrong side those 5 sts become a K1, P2, K2) you’ll do row 1 of the outside border, row 1 of the woven braid, P2, K2, row 1 of the trinity stitch, K2, P2, Row 1 of the Saxon braid, P2, K2, Row 1 of Trinity stitch, K2, P2, Row 1 of the Woven braid, and finally do your left border, which on the RS of work is P2, K3 but on the wrong side will be a K2, P2, sl1.

The table below isn’t really a chart per say. It just shows you how the individual patterns are situated on the afghan. Row 1 will do the layout from left to right, then row 2 will start right to left (making sure you do the borders as K2, P2, sl1 for the first and the last will be a K1, P2, k2 as per the notes in the table). For the braids and trinity sts just follow row 2 in the written directions.

Row 1 would look like this:
(Left Border on RS of work)P2, K2, sl1, (woven braid) C4B, C4B, k2, (separation)P2, K2, (Trinity stitch) P18, (separation) K2, P2 (Saxon braid) P2, C4B, p4, C4B, p4, C4B, p2, (small separation) P2, K2, (Trinity stitch) P18, (small separation) K2, P2, (woven braid) C4B, C4B, k2, (right border of panel on RS of work) P2, K3

And Row 2 would be written like this:
(outside edge)K2, P2, sl1 (Woven braid) P10, (separation) K2, P2, (Trinity stitch) K1, (p3tog, M3) 4 times, K1 (separation) P2, K2 (Saxon braid) Work sts as they appear (knit the knits and purl the purls), (separation) K2, P2 (Trinity stitch) K1, (p3tog, M3) 4 times, K1 (separation) P2, K2 (Woven Braid) P10 (left outside edge) K1, P2, K2

Also, you’ll want to keep track of your rows. Most of these patterns are a 4 row repeat so it’s easy to make sure you’re on the right rows. The Saxon braid, however, is a 16 row repeat. That means when you’re doing row 5 for the saxon braid, you’ll be back to doing row 1 for the others. HTH

Hi
Thank you so much for your generous offer, I need all the help I can get! I love this afghan and can hardly wait to get started, but the directions on how to start just threw me.
My email address is: alicat2500@aol.com
Thanks again.

Alice B

Holy crapette! That is one beeeeeeeeeutiful afghan! Thanks for the link. :happydance:

Oh my gawd. I’m gonna mess you up terribly. I scanned the directions first and just now noticed it said right in there to read the table from right to left. Soooooooooo, row 1 is like this (I promise this time.)

Row 1 (RS):
P2, K3 (seperation)
C4B, C4B, K2 (row 1 of woven braid)
K2, P2 (seperation)
P18 (row 1 of trinity stitch)
P2, K2 (seperation)
P2, C4B, P4, C4B, P4, C4B, P2 (row 1 of saxon braid)
K2, P2 (seperation)
P2, K2 (seperation)
P2, K2, sl1 (outer edge on RS)

Row 2 as follows (WS) (now you’re reading the table from left to right):
K1, P2, K2 (outer edge on WS)
P10 (Row 2 of woven braid)
P2, K2 (seperation)
K1, (p3tog, M3) 4 times, K1 (row two of trinity stitch)
K2, P2 (seperation)
Work sts as they appear - knit the knits and purl the purls (do this on all even rows of saxon braid)
P2, K2 (seperation)
K1, (p3tog, M3) 4 times) row 2 of trinity stitch
K2, P2 (seperation)
P10 (row 2 of woven braid)
K2, P2, sl1 (edge of panel on WS)

Then just go on to row 3, then row 4, etc.

LOL
Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks, again! I was so confused over these directions, and I really needed someone to lead me step by step and I think I finally get it. Now when I get to row 3 and 4, hopefully it will fall in place. Do I have to reverse any of these stitches on row 3 and 4etc? I probably will be driving everyone crazy for the next few weeks; just chalk it up to a very slow learner.
Alice B

No problem at all. :slight_smile: Row 3 and 4 just do what the written directions tell you to do for each specific pattern. Just keep track of which rows you’re on and whether you’re on the RS or the WS so you know what to do with the outer edges.

Lastly, I got an answer to why the table starts on row 3 for two of the patterns. What you do when you’re doing your first complete row is start with the written row 3 for those two patterns. It’ll look like this

Your Row 1:
P2, K3 (seperation)
K2, C4F, C4F (row 3 of woven braid)
K2, P2 (seperation)
P18 (row 3 of trinity stitch)
P2, K2 (seperation)
P2, C4B, P4, C4B, P4, C4B, P2 (row 1 of saxon braid)
K2, P2 (seperation)
P2, K2 (seperation)
P2, K2, sl1 (outer edge on RS)

And your Row 2 will look like this:
K1, P2, K2 (outer edge on WS)
P10 (Row 2 of woven braid)
P2, K2 (seperation)
K1, (p3tog, M3) 4 times, K1 (row 2 of trinity stitch)
K2, P2 (seperation)
Work sts as they appear - knit the knits and purl the purls (Row 2 of the saxon braid) (do this on all even rows of saxon braid)
P2, K2 (seperation)
K1, (M3, p3tog) 4 times, K1 (row 4 of trinity stitch)
K2, P2 (seperation)
P10 (row 4 of woven braid)
K2, P2, sl1 (edge of panel on WS)

Row 3 you’ll be working on the RS again so you’ll be doing the table from right to left again and make sure to do the outer edges accordingly. Since you’ve already done row 3 and 4 of the first woven braid and trinity stitch, you’ll do row 1 here and the others you’ll be on row 3. You might have to make notes to make sure you’re always where you’re supposed to be on the rows.

Between the two of us, we’ll get this thing knocked out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again,
I was reading the instructions again, and I noticed that you did not make reference to the table where it says to start on Row 3 of the one pattern; shouldn’t I do that like it says? Maybe I need to graph all the instructions out and maybe I’ll get a clearer picture of the instructions.
Alice B

I will try this and see how it looks; maybe this is the key!
Thanks again

Alice B

please send me your word document!

This is a really old thread. I’m not sure any od the members here are still active.

I am just beginning this Afghan and would appreciate all of the help I can get. Am wondering also about the end of the row… the last stitch being sl1 with yarn in front as if to purl. Is that as easy as it sounds? Does it mean that I don’t knit the last stitch and just slip it, or knit it and then slip the knitted stitch off the needle with the yarn in front? If this makes any sense, I would love someone to HELP!
Connie...twrcmr1@gmail.com

A trick I learned while living in Australia — “Slip the first and Knit the last”
This technique gives a nice smooth edge that looks even, and also makes picking up stitches and making seams much easier. When I made the Burridge afghan, I used the Australian technique. Keeping the yarn in front for that first slipped stitch just makes the edge a bit smoother which is lovely in an afghan. I loved knitting this afghan — I gave it to a dear friend for her wedding…. I hope you enjoy the knitting!

Teedubb2 – I have compiled a graph of written instructions for the Burridge. If you’d like I can send you a copy – it is a word document. Note, I made a few changes to the cables, opting for similar looking cables that matched the number of rows of other cables in the section.

I would love the written instructions!
Thank you
Connie