Question for Jan, mostly, about magic loop

I saw that one, @salmonmac, but IIRC she uses single or traveling loop rather than traditional magic loop. Nothing wrong with that though if you find it easier @pslane. She must have more stitches on her needles for hats than I do because I don’t have a problem with a 40".

Actually, it doesn’t seem any different than any other of dozens of hat patterns to me. There don’t seem to be any special instructions for magic loop but maybe it just makes your point: magic loop is a technique and doesn’t really require a specific pattern.

No, it really doesn’t. It’s just a technique you can use on any (or most) seamless project in the round. I’ve given my basic “recipe” I use for hats in the forum and that’s really all you need.

Looking forward to trying this but I would prefer the other videos near the top of this thread. I’ll stick with the basic 2 loop. If I mess up it won’t be the first time I’ve had to start over. I can start choosing which hat I’ll make but still have about 10 inches to go on this cowl, which is knitted with the smallest yarn I’ve ever used! I have lots of Bernat Softee Chunky so I’ll probably try to find a hat pattern that used that weight yarn. I love Softee Chunky!

Does this look like one that could be done easily with the magic loop? I found this on ravelry.

Yes, I think that would be great! :+1:

I had a basic hat pattern a couple years ago. I found it on a website. It allows you to enter in your gauge and needle size as well as the size hat you want to make and how snug you want it to be. It includes sections for a lining, ear flaps and the decreases for the crown. When I get off work, I’ll locate my printout for the web address and post a link.

2 Likes

Here’s the website to the patten:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/Hats/HKEarflapHat.html

3 Likes

Thank you :grinning:

How can I modify it if I don’t want the flaps?

Just skip that section and go to the front hem. It only includes them as part of the basic pattern.

I like this pattern generator because it does the calculating for you. It still allows creativity and you’re not sitting there with a calculator to figure out how many decreases to make and when. It works for solid colors, fair isle, and intarsia. You could use this pattern for years and never make the same hat twice!

I like that. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

Yea! I finished my first ever magic loop hat!! I had a couple of places at the seam that didn’t look good and looked too loose, also dropped one stitch. Had to fix all that but for my first time, it’s okay. ( a little rough around the edges lol) I changed to a solid color so I could concentrate and see my stitches better.

Now my questions are these: What can I do to get a tighter seam on each side?
Is there a good rule of thumb for decreasing? I was pretty much on my own when I
decreased trying to do the same thing on each side. So what is a good technique for that?
I want to get some advice on this before I start my next one, with the multi colored yarn. I do know now that I will have to cast on more stitches for this substitute yarn I am using.
Thank you all for your help.

Beautiful little hat, Pauline! :heart_eyes:

• To keep the sides tighter make sure you have a long enough cable (I use 40" for hats). I also try let the loop at the end kind of cross or hold it closed with my little fingers. That keeps it neater.

• To make decreases even make sure you have a number that can be divided evenly. For my standard hat I cast on 80 so I can decrease once in each group of 10. Like this -

~ knit 8, k2tog (place marker) around hat
~ knit even
~ knit 7, k2tog (slip marker) around hat
~ knit even
~ etc…

• If you need to use a number other than a multiple of 10 figure out whether you can decrease evenly before you start. It’s easier. :wink:

Thank you! This is great info, too. About the markers, I never used them for decreasing because I always just followed the pattern. What is the difference between a place marker and a slip marker?

I changed the CO stitches because the yarn was not the same, close but not quite. Then the hat came out a bit too small so I think I can actually follow the pattern next time and do the decreases just like the pattern says.

That is a very nice hat for your first magic loop. I love the color, too.

I always use markers regardless of whether in using a pattern. For me it just becomes mindless that way. I know to knit to two stitches before the marker then k2tog. You can do this with most patterns.

Placing a marker simply means to put the marker on the needles. Slipping the marker is moving it from the left to right needle. You only place it once. Then you’ll be slipping it.

Your first magic loop hat is a grand success! Good for you for persisting and adding another new technique. Have fun with this next one, too.

Thanks, everybody. I definitely need to work on getting my decrease stitches more uniform. I always use a marker doing a regular circular pattern but it never occurred to me to use it between decrease stitches. I was doing a lot of counting!