Question about gusset

Hi ya’ll! Just in case you’re wondering who I am, I’m new to the forum and very excited to be a part of it. Thanks to everyone for being one stitch in the tapestry that is this website. Since I’m also new to knitting, I was hoping someone may also be able to answer my question regarding sock gussets. It may help to know that I’m using two circular needles to knit this sock. As I finished turning the heal I began to use the same needle to pick up the gusset stitches as specified in this website, then I continued along the instep and along the second gusset. My yarn ended at the beginning of the heal instead of the center. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks so much in advance.

Darn, I see no one has come along to answer this question yet. :slight_smile: I want to welcome you to the forum. Bumping this up a bit, maybe someone will answer you soon. I have never made a sock on 2 circulars so can’t help. Sorry.

I’m not quite sure I see a problem - can’t you just knit across the heel to get you to the center?

Is it that you think you have the wrong number of stitches on each needle?

I’ve seen some 2-circ methods that want half the heel, one side of gusset, and half the top of the foot on one needle, and the same on the opposite.

Personally, I’ve never felt the need to be moving the stitches around like that.

I prefer to keep the top of the foot on one needle, and the 2nd needle will have gusset, heel, gusset stitches. Decreasing the gusset will be a bit tight for the first few rounds, but afterall you are on flexible cables so it’s really not a big problem. And after 2-4 decrease rounds it’s no problem at all. Eventually you’ll decrease down so that both needles have the same number of stitches again. And to my thinking, now the foot is lined up correctly to make decreasing the toe easy when to get to that part.

I knit socks on dpns, but I think it might be somewhat the same on 2 circs. Once you pick up the gusset stitches on needle 3 you knit half of the heel stitches onto needle three thus distributing the heel and gusset stitches evenly on needles 1 and 3.