Putting it al together

I just finished a small sweater. Now the fun starts…(not) How do I put the parts together? I was hoping to find a video on knittinghelp.com. It has a front,back, and two sleeves. Is there a secret to making it look good?!

thanks

Get yourself a yarn needle and a bunch of bobby pins.

Put the front and back together. Use the bobby pins to keep the sides together - sorta like big sewing pins. Be sure to match the ribbing edges and the armhole edges as you insert the bobby pins.

Now sew with matching yarn.

Do this with the other side. Bobby pins, match up ribbing and edges, sew.

Now to the shoulders. Match up neck and armhole edges, sew. Repeat for the other shoulder.

Now take your sleeves. Turn them inside-out. Bobby-pin them together, wrist to armhole edge. Again make sure the ribbing matches. Sew. Repeat with the other sleeve.

Here’s the secret trick: Turn your Sweater body INSIDE-OUT. Turn your Sleeves RIGHTSIDE-OUT. Put one sleeve inside the body (making it right side of body to right side of sleeve) Put the armhole part of the sleeve just peeking out at the armhole part of the sweater body.

Bobby pin the sleeve in place just like that, edges to edges. Match the top of your sleeve with your shoulder seam; and the bottom seam of your sleeve with the side seam of the body. Sew.

Repeat with the other sleeve.

Turn the sweater right-side out and…
Voila! One Sweater!

Block and wear.
Dot

You just seam the pieces together. I believe there’s a video on the mattress st under Finishing.

WOW thanks so MUCH

When stitching the seams, do I sew under the ending stitches, or “in” them. It seems to bunch up when I sew under the last stitches and maybe that’s right? biddy

When stitching the seams, do I sew under the ending stitches, or “in” them. It seems to bunch up when I sew under the last stitches and maybe that’s right? biddy

Not such a beginner after all!

You sew in the stitch, using the needle to stitch around the two outside edges and through the final stitch in the row for each piece. Like an overhand stitch, rather than a running stitch.

Dot