Provisional Cast on using Crochet Hook

Hi all,

This long weekend I hope to finish 2 projects and cast on for the Luna Moth Shawl.
I’m probably gonna be asking some dumb questions as it seems a little complicated, but I want to push myself to learn some new tricks.

The cast on is:

[COLOR=Blue][B]"Cast on: [/B] Shawl begins at the center back using provisional cast on. With contrast color scrap yarn and crochet hook, chain 6. With shawl yarn pick up and knit 3 sts in the bumps on the back side of the center 3 chains - 3 sts. Knit 18 rows. Next row, K3, pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 9 garter ridges along selvedge edge of piece, unzip scrap yarn chain to expose 3 sts at base of the piece, place these 3 sts onto left needle, K3. (15 sts total) "
[COLOR=Black]
Now that sounds scary! When it says chain 6, is that literally just 6 stitches in Crochet or something more complicated that I’m not seeing? Then I just pick up 3 stitches out of those 6?

Also, where it says [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]K3, pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 9 garter ridges along selvedge edge of piece, [COLOR=Black]am I changing the direction of the knit here?

Anyone got any pics of a WIP of this?

Thanks in advance!:heart:
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Here’s another way to do the provisional cast on and the easiest, in my opinion:http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=48

I always do my provisional cast on like in the link mwhite posted…I find it a lot easier…Amy does have a videothough if you want to check out the other way…:thumbsup:

As for the pick up…are you picking at one edge when you do that? If so then I would say you are getting ready to change …I’m not sure though without the pattern…once you get there it will prolly make more sense :happydance:

I have recently watched a Lucy Neatby dvd and she also uses the method mwhite linked.

After you knit the 3 sts for 18 rows, you have a long strip. Then pick up 9 sts along the long edge, 1 in each ridge, then the 3 sts at the other end of the strip. You `turn’ corners, but after a few rows of the pattern it’s flat.