Poorly written pattern or just not understanding?

Hi,

I’m still fairly new to knitting but I’ve had some success making hats and toys. I just can’t figure out if I’m not understanding this pattern or if it’s poorly written. Particularly lines like this:

“Shape leg: Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 2 following 6th rows - 34 sts. Ss 3 rows.”

As far as I can see there is no 6th row. There are 4 total in that step of instructions and the next step has its own increase. Do I assume there are 6 rows even though it says SS 3 rows? It appears more than once in the pattern and my gut is telling me my project is not coming out right.

If someone could give me a little insight I’d really appreciate it. Link to the pattern is below.

http://knitted-patterns.com/knitting-for-home/4272-polar-bear-toy-knitting-pattern-free

Shape leg: Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 2 following 6th rows - 34 sts. Ss 3 rows.

1st inc row: [Inc in next st, k14, inc in next st, k1] twice - 38 sts. Ss 3 rows.

2nd inc row: [Inc in next st, kl 6, inc in next st, k1] twice - 42 sts. Ss 3 rows.

3rd inc row: [Inc in next st, kl 8, inc in next st, k1] twice - 46 sts. Ss 3 rows.

It looks like you have a total of 12 rows because there are 3 stockinette stitches after each increase row…

@salmonmac

Yes but the pattern says I should have a total of 34 stitches after the first step which includes this 6th row, and 38 after the second step. That’s conflicting, isn’t it? If it was like that then wouldn’t they put it in order rather than splitting it up?

You have 28sts before the “Shape leg” (front leg) instructions:
Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 2 following 6th rows - 34 sts.

This increases by 2sts each repeat. All 13rows are worked in stockinette. If you call the next row, row 1 then increase on rows 1,7,and 13. Then work 3 more rows stockineete and proceed with the next increases.

1st inc row: [Inc in next st, k14, inc in next st, k1] twice - 38 sts.
Ss 3 rows.

2nd inc row: [Inc in next st, kl 6, inc in next st, k1] twice - 42 sts.
Ss 3 rows.

3rd inc row: [Inc in next st, kl 8, inc in next st, k1] twice - 46 sts.
Ss 3 rows.

Ok! Thank you for the insight. I guess I need a bit more practice reading patterns still. I am wondering about another bit of the instruction; I wish I had someone near me I could learn from in person.

"Body: Joining row: Cast off first 23 sts, k to end of front leg, cast on 16 sts, then with right side facing, k31 sts of back leg - 70 sts.

Fold each leg in half with wrong sides together and join back leg seams. Ss 3 rows."

When I did this step it had the front leg opening to the outside of everything and the back leg open to the inside. That seemed strange to me. I made sure everything was right side facing but maybe I was supposed to have the front leg wrong side facing and the back leg right side facing?

When I try this the front leg seam and the back leg seam end up facing each other with the cast on 16sts between them. In other words, the seam is up the forward facing edge of the back leg and the backward facing edge of the front leg.
Sort of like this where the shaded side is the wrong side:
KH polar bear

That helps so much! Thank you!

Thanks for the link i am not a toy person but found many other nice patterns. Thanks again #hohmnj 1