Poor quality ribbing-help!

I have been knitting the same mitten pattern for years with the same type of yarn and the same dp needles. All of a sudden the k2 p2 ribbing won’t rib, it just lays flat. What causes this? I don’t think my knitting has changed -the mittens I made last week were fine. I did have this happen when I tried mittens with acrylic plush yarn for my granddaughter, I blamed it on the yarn that time.

Are you sure that you are knitting your purls and purling your knits? If you knit the knits and purl the purls, you won’t get a rib. :??

Row1 = K2 P2 K2 P2
Row2 = K2 P2 K2 P2

or if you end row 1 w/ k2:

Row1 = K2 P2 K2 P2 K2
Row2 = P2 K2 P2 K2 P2

as an aside that has absolutely nothing to do with this question cuz i don’t know the answer…what part of iowa is your small town in? I grew up in Holstein!! :thumbsup:

:waving: I’m from Ames!

I drove through Ames a couple of weeks ago, the day before that horrible tragedy called the Iowa/Iowa State football game :wink: Don’t get to that part of Iowa that much but we did have some fun in Des Moines shopping for yarn and counted cross stitch stuff for my momma :smiley:

Yup, the stitching is right, nice neat columns of knit2’s and purl2’s it just won’t fold into 3-D ribs!

By the way- I’m in Springville, Iowa, a wonderful little town of 1100 Iowans.

It’s possible that your yarn is too thin for those needles so the knitting is too loose to ‘rib up.’