Pooling Yarn?

I want to make a scarf using Knitpicks Andean Silk Twist

There is a note in the description stating: [color=darkred]*Note: Mouline yarns have a tendency to mimic hand-dyes. To prevent pooling, alternate yarn from different balls every 2 or 3 rows.[/color]

My questions are:
What is pooling?
Do I need to start a new ball every few rows?

Thanks!

well basically with most hand dyes you can’t count on like lot numbers to make sure your colors are the same. if you use two balls of hand dyed yarn that seems to have the same lot number and just start a new ball when you finish the row, you will see definite differences in color. to avoid that and make it look natural you have to switch balls every few rows.

i am pretty sure that is what it means anyway. i do know you have to do it with hand dyes anyway and that is why!

That’s not exactly right, brenda. A good point, but not what “pooling” is. :wink:

Pooling is when you use a varigated yarn and because of the dying pattern, you can sometimes get a color pattern in the finished fabric in which you have noticable blotches of one color, or zig zag shapes of color. Ideally, with a varigated yarn, you want a nice mottled, evenly varigated finished peice. To avoid pooling, do as they say and knit 2 or 3 rows from two separate balls of yarn. To varigate it further, you can knit in a fair isle/stranded fashion, knitting 3-5 stitches from each ball, but this will use more yarn.

Ooo looky looky … I’m pooling :XX: :x: :XY:

:eyebrow: :rofling:

Thanks Silver, that’s what I suspected.

So do I just snip the yarn off every few rows and start with the new ball as in Amy’s Joining Yarn video?

No, you can carry the yarn up 2 or 3 rows. Don’t pull the yarn tight on the first stitch when you change yarn strands, or the side will pucker. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m lost - what does it mean to “carry the yarn”?

It means not to cut the yarn when you’re going to switch. Just drop the old, pick up the new and continue knitting. On the back/edge of the piece, there will be these strands of yarn climbing up the knitting. You can keep them neat, but if you want the scarf to look better on the reverse side, either switch yarns every other row, OR forget about carrying it and just cut the yarn and weave in the ends.

Of course, you could always just not worry about pooling, if it’s not a concern of yours. :slight_smile:

ok, gotcha. I think I’ll try it both ways and see how it looks. :smiley:

whew…sure glad i put a disclaimer in there to indicate i prolly didn’t know what i was talking about before i pretended to be all “knitting smart!”

:rofling:

[size=2][color=red]goes back to just being a “knitting smart a$$”[/color][/size]