Pointy Top

:waving:[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Hi All,

I have been making hats, lots of hats in the round. I love them :heart:, but am having some trouble.

When I am down to the DPN’s & am getting close to “ending”; I often end up w/a little pointy top. I WANT it to lay flat ! My pattern says to k2tog after 4 rounds of decreases every 10st … fine and dandy, then it says to break yarn & thread through the last 7 stitches.

THEN it pokes up. I have blocked them & they still get pointy. It says to pull string tightly … do you think I am pulling too hard? I am thinking about maybe if I have more stitches (10 or so) they may lay flat? OH I just don’t know!!:??

Any ideas are most appreciated !!

Your :knitting: knitting pal,
Carol [/COLOR][/SIZE]

That is the way I did all my hats and they aren’t pointy. I just draw up the stitches with yarn needle, push thru to the wrong side and fasten off and weave in the end. Here is one I made.

You might want to do one decrease so there’s maybe 10-16 sts left after the k2tog round, not 7, then pull the yarn through them. I think it’s the extra decrease to get a smaller number of sts that’s making it pointy.

You could add a pom pom or tassel to the ones you already made to hide the pointyness (is that a word??)

LOL, should I do that to the blaze orange hunting hats I’m making if they’re pointy? :slight_smile:

(Hopefully this thread will help me avoid that. :yay: )

Well if they get shot at wearing orange hats with pom-poms bouncing in the wind they should wonder if it was an intentional shot! No way could they be missed sight-wise! :roflhard:

My favorite hat pattern doesn’t end up pointy even though it ends with 7 stitches at the last round and then you thread the yarn through, pull to the back and tie off. I’m wondering if the decreases aren’t gradual enough. A lot of times, if you have a pattern where the decreases start to late and happen all together, you’ll end up with a weird shape.

When I am down to the DPN’s & am getting close to “ending”; I often end up w/a little pointy top. I WANT it to lay flat ! My pattern says to k2tog after 4 rounds of decreases every 10st … fine and dandy, then it says to break yarn & thread through the last 7 stitches.
There are all sorts of ways to do hats, but as Kbagel suggested the decreases could be too abrupt.

You said, “My pattern says to K2tog after 4 rounds of decreases every 10 stitches.” Most of the hat patterns I have seen have you space the decreases a little differently than that. For instance if I have 84 stitches. I believe I knit 12 and then k2tog, repeat across. Then knit a row even and then on the second dec row to K11 and K2tog across, knit a row even. Then K10 and K2tog across. Making each decrease row one less knit between decreases, alternating with an even row. You begin the decreases after the hat is about 5 inches from the edge (If you roll it up, it is 5 inches from the edge after it is rolled up.).

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]Thank you all for your advice.
I am decreasing less often & will end w/10 sts rather than seven.

Big Hugs
Carol
:grphug:
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

That should do it!