Pocket Linings

This is my first attempt.

I slipped the required stitches on to a stitch holder and continued knitting. On the next row, I have picked up the stitches that were slipped off. Now there is a string left within the pattern which I assume is where I will attach the pocket to later on. Should this string be on the right (outer) or wrong side (inner)) side of the pattern? Mine has ended up on the inner. I think this is wrong.

Please advise. Sorry for the long post

On the next row, I have picked up the stitches that were slipped off.

‘Picked up sts that were slipped off’? Do you mean you CO to replace the sts that are on the holder? Are you making the pocket lining in place or separate (when you say ‘attach the pocket later’)?

What is the pattern…can you provide a link or the pocket instructions? (Not all linings are worked the same.)

Now there is a string left within the pattern which I assume is where I will attach the pocket to later on. Should this string be on the right (outer) or wrong side (inner)) side of the pattern? Mine has ended up on the inner. I think this is wrong.

Is the tail the result of rejoining your yarn? Doesn’t matter if on the RS or WS as it can be moved, woven, etc.

Some more specific details would be helpful.

Thank you for your response. I thought I posted a reply but it is not showing so here it is again.

The pattern is as follows:

Place Pocket Lining

Next Row: (K1, P1) 8 times, slip 33 sts onto a stitch holder, (P1, K1) 5 times.

Next Row: (P1, K1B) 5 times, work across 33 sts left on a stitch holder for one pocket lining as follows:-

P1, (K1B, P1) 16 times, (K1B, P1) 8 times.

Questions:

1. When knitting the first row, (which is the ws) after slipping off the 33 sts, do I continue knitting the remainder stitches as this will leave a string where the gap is (i.e. where the sts were slipped off)?

2. If so, what happens on the second row, i.e. the rs?

a) I assume I pick up the stitches from the stitch holder. What then happens to the string?

b) Do I attach the pocket lining to the string? How is the pocket opening then created?

Once again, thank you for responding and I apologise for the long post.

What is the pattern you’re working on? Can you provide a picture or link? With only the two lines of the instructions you’ve given for the pocket it’s difficult to determine what exactly is happening at this point.

Normally, when ‘placing’ the lining it’s been worked separately and is being held on a separate ndl or holder. (As opposed to being worked into the actual garment.) The st patt of your 1st line, vs the 2nd, has you doing K1, P1 in one, but K1B, P1 in the other. Being you’re working a st patt over the 33 ‘lining’ sts, do you have a lining already done that is to be joined at this point?

I am sorry. I am seem to be quite bad at explaining myself. I have already made and placed the two pocket linings on a stitch holder waiting to be joined. The link to the pattern is

http://www.knitandsew.co.uk/Stylecraft_Life_DK_pattern_8233.htm

Next Row: (K1, P1) 8 times, slip 33 sts onto a stitch holder, (P1, K1) 5 times.

Next Row: (P1, K1B) 5 times, work across 33 sts left on a stitch holder for one pocket lining as follows:-

P1, (K1B, P1) 16 times, (K1B, P1) 8 times.

Okay. Based on the image, I’d work the [B]FIRST ROW[/B] by proceeding across it. Once you’ve worked [B]ACROSS[/B] the 33 sts for the pocket, THEN place them on a holder. Finish the row.

[B]NEXT ROW[/B], continue knitting. (You’re using the same yarn, no loose ends.) When you get to the place where the previous row’s 33 sts were put on holder, take one of the linings and work those sts in their place (you’re inserting the lining…it’ll hang down behind the front of your sweater). BTW, some linings are worked with 2 extra sts which are K tog with the first and last of the opening. Makes for a cleaner and more secure transition.) Finish across the row and proceed to the next part of the directions (presumably continuing up the fronts).

I suspect you’ll go back, probably at the end of the instructions, to the 33 sts on the holder and work some kind of pocket trim. It’ll then be secured to the fronts. The lining, which is still hanging down inside the front, will need to be slip-stitched to the WS of the front to create the pocket. The trim will be where the opening is (your hand enters the pocket at that point). If the lining hanging down doesn’t want to stay flat while you work the rows above it, just baste in place with some waste yarn or pin with extra st holders.

Cute sweater. I’m a HUGE coat sweater fan. BTW, I’ve done many sweaters, almost all of which have pockets (and if they don’t I add them!). Once you put the trim sts on the holder and replace them with the lining sts you’ll see the concept taking shape.

HTH.