Please help with pattern

I am trying to knit a frill for a doll pattern and keep on ending up with far less stitches than the pattern says. I have cast on 52 sts and the 3 rows are:

Row 1: (right side): K1, yf, *K5, pass 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th sts just worked separately over the first st and off the needle, yf; rep from * to last st, k1.

Row 2: P1, [p1, yon KB1] into next st, p1; rep from *to end, (45 sts)

Row 3: K2, KB1, *K3, KB1; rep from * to last 2 sts, K2

I end up with 28 stitches and can’t work out where I’m going wrong. Please can you help?

What is the name of your pattern?

Is there an asterisk before the bracket in row 2?
Row 2: P1, asterisk [p1, yon KB1] into next st, p1; rep from *to end

Is yon KB1 a yarn over needle knit one below or is KB1 something else?

The pattern isn’t named. I purchased a pack of 4 from an ebay seller. KB1 = knit into back of next st. There is an * before the bracket in row 2:

Row 2

P1,*[pl, yon, KB1] into next st, P1; rep from * to end.

OK, after row 1 there are 23 sts. There’s 1 st plus the yf (2sts). The repeat gives you 2sts x 10 for 20sts and there’s the final k1 (total of 23 sts).

For row 2 there is a p1 (1st), then the repeat of (3sts plus 1) times 11 or 44 sts. The total is 45sts.

Thanks very much for your reply. I’ve got the 23 stitches after row 1, so it must be on row 2 where I am going wrong.

OK, good. On row 2 the repeat takes 2sts and leaves you with 4sts. The repeat is: into one stitch, p1, yo, KB1. Then into the next stitch, p1
Row 2: P1, asterisk[p1, yon KB1] into next st, p1; rep from *to end

Here’s a video for k1. yo, k1 into a single stitch and the idea is similar to what you’re doing.

Thank you very much for your reply. I worked it out in the end and discovered I wasn’t making the three in one stitch which accounted for the problem. Thanks for the video too.

1 Like