Please help with knitting a V neck band

Hi
I am knitting for my baby due in march.I am stuck at neckband.
Can’t understand the following
It says 1st row
P2, (k2,p2) 13 [14:15:16:17:18] times, k1, yft, insert needle purl ways through back of 2nd st then 1st st and slip both sts off needle tog, purl next st then pass 2 slipped sts tog over purl st, k1, p2,* k2, p2 rep from * to end 87 st.
I currently have 89 st to work on.

Please help :slight_smile:

If I’ve read the row right, it looks like this part,[I]insert needle purl ways through back of 2nd st then 1st st and slip both sts off needle tog, purl next st then pass 2 slipped sts tog over purl st[/I], will reduce you down to your 87 sts. And it looks like you’re crossing/twisting those 2 slipped stitches by picking the 2nd st up first, then the 1st one, before passing those slipped sts over the p1.

If the passing the slipped stitches part is the confusing one, check the knitting tips page for psso under the free videos tab. I’m pretty sure there’s an example there.

Also check for notes somewhere in your pattern that may explain this stitch combination. yft may be bring yarn to front, but check the stitch definitions in your pattern to be sure. Hope this was of some help, and I’ll defer to the others when they inevitably chime in.

Congratulations on the soon to be here new family member!

Thanks a lot Charlotte,
but what does the first line mean P2 (k2,p2) 13 [14:15:16:17:18] times, k1 mean ?
Much appreciated

(k2,p2) 13 [14:15:16:17:18] times means to repeat the (k2,p2) the number of times that corresponds to your size. So repeat 13 times for the smallest size or 18 times for the largest size.

Thank you very much. I thought so as well, but just wasn’t sure!
:slight_smile:

You’ll see these multi sizes for many baby patterns. It’s easier if you print out the pattern and circle or highlight the numbers for the size you’re using before you begin knitting so you don’t get confused. Sometimes you’ll see directions like increase 0 (1,2). This means that for the smallest size, you won’t do an increase.