PINWHEEL blanket pattern- can't make sense of it!

I am an intermediate knitter who understands patterns very well usually.
However, I can’t make sense of this one AT ALL! Please help!
It looks very simple and I could probably just wing it by following the photograph but when I follow the pattern instructions below I end up with WAY too many stitches, too fast!
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS: Should I have 10 needle markers in to show where I yarn over? (plus 1 for beginning of round of course) But when do I yarn over? How many knit stitches between yarn over? When I read the instructions, it looks like I’m supposed to repeat rounds 5-8 over and over again. But within those rounds I realize I’m NOT supposed to follow the pattern to a ‘‘t’’ because then I’m increasing (yo) every 1, 2 or 3 stitches, resulting in a mess of too many stitches!
I hope someone knows my predicament and can help me! THANKS!

Pattern:
Cast on 5 stitches, knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

Next round, make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).

Round 5: k1, yo around to marker. (20 stitches).

Round 6: knit

Round 7: k2, yo around to marker.

Round 8: knit

Round 9: k3, yo around to marker.

Round 10: knit

Continue this pattern of adding a stitch in each section- there are 10 sections, 10 more stitches. When needed, switch from using the double points to a circular needle.

When the blanket has reached the desired diameter, cast/bind off. Now your blanket is complete, unless you want to embellish it with an edging.

Lovely pattern.
I think you need to add a stitch before the yarn over on each alternate round.So round 11 k4,yo
Round 13 k5,yo.
And so on,this will add one stitch to each blanket section,between the markers each time

1 Like

Thank you so much! I really want to make this pattern work! That does make sense. Now I just need to try it! I will restart the blanket tonight! :slight_smile: I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

1 Like