Picot Bind Off?

I’m knitting the Sun Ray Shawl, and was looking at the bind off (I’m not anywhere near that yet, but I was just looking over the pattern). There are detailed instructions in the pattern, but I like to watch the video from KH too, because I was a little confused by the instructions.

I get confused really easy, it seems. :oops:

So, is the Picot Bind Off listed under a different video on KH? I know there are different names, so sometimes I just can’t find things, even if they’re staring at me.

Instructions, in case someone can clear up the whole cast off four, add two thing for me:

Picot bind-off: Insert the right-hand needle into the first stitch on the left-hand (LH) needle, and knit a stitch but do not slip the stitch off the left needle. Slip the new stitch back onto the LH needle, then make a second new stitch as before. Cast off four stitches, then slip the remaining stitch back onto the LH needle. Repeat along the row, making two stitches and casting off four each time.

I don’t believe Amy has video for Picot bind-off, but if you follow the directions, step by step, you should get it. Practice on something else first to get used to it first if you’re unsure.

Picot bind-off: Insert the right-hand needle into the first stitch on the left-hand (LH) needle, and knit a stitch but do not slip the stitch off the left needle. Slip the new stitch back onto the LH needle, then make a second new stitch as before. Cast off four stitches, then slip the remaining stitch back onto the LH needle. Repeat along the row, making two stitches and casting off four each time.

This is different from the instructions for a Picot bind-off in Vogue. But the description above sounds like you just cast on two stitches, then bind off four. The first part sounds like you cast on two stitches using the Knitting On method. Amy shows a video for that, so you could at least see how to get started.

I hope this helps!

:stuck_out_tongue:

My only confusion is the part about the 2 cast on and four cast off.

So, in my mind, you would cast on two new stitches. Then you would bind off four, the first two of those four being the two cast on. And then slip the cast off from the fourth on to the left needle, and repeat.

Is that correct?

If you post your question on the Elann chat group you wll most likely get a response from the designer, Shui Kuen. She is a regular member and posts frequently.

Yes, that is correct.

To bind off the fourth stitch, you will pass it over the fifth stitch (and off the right needle), then slip that fifth stitch back to the left needle and repeat the cycle.

Good luck!