Pick up knit stitches and knit in space

I’ve been knitting for years and have never come up on some directions that I can’t seem to wrap my head around. I’m working on the Bridgewater shawl from Brooklyn Tweed (it’s actually going to be a lacy, lightweight wrap for a new grandchild) and just finished the center square which was knit on the bias with garter stitches. I’m at the point where I’m starting with a new color and working on the Horseshoe Lace Frame.

It’s asking me to: “pick up and knit 1 stitch in the space between the first and second ridges” (that part I understand), then this is where I think, huh?: “Pick up and knit once into the front and then once into the back of the space between second and third ridges”. Is it asking me to bring up the stitch and knit into the front and back of the loop? That I can do. But I don’t think it is. Just not sure if I’m reading it right. I need HELP from all you amazing knitters!!!

Welcome to KH and congratulations on the new grandchild!

That is an awkward maneuver. It might be easier to pick up a stitch in the space and then add another stitch by a make one away.

Huh!! Good idea—I didn’t even think of a make one away. The pattern is already so lacy I can’t imagine that’ll make much difference in having a little hole. I’d also thought of just knitting again in the same space but knitting through the back loop instead. I tried it and it kind of makes an eyelet there which is kind of cute. I’m going to try your suggestion and see how it looks. Thank you for responding—especially on a Sunday when you’d probably rather be doing something else! :hugs::heart: