Photo Circular triangle shawl "easy level" PLEASE help

I have started my Triangle Shawl project over at least 4 times because I don’t understand how I am getting increased stitches between my two center markers. Something is going wrong with my YO and other sl marker steps around my center 2markers!
My knitting error is causing the center of my triangle shawl ROW and large HOLE pattern to move and look off/odd. (Sorry seems my photos are to large to attach of my knitting error - maybe operator error lol)

I need assist in understanding what row my error is beginning on as the first 7 or so rows are fine showing the required one stitch between my two markers.

The increase pattern calls for “sl marker” and I believe that just means slip one marker (and not a stitch as well)?
I am yo before (not between) markers as in knitting, I do have a row of purl in my repeats but the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.

I am new to knitting and hope my question/problem is clear. Donna potter

Hope this photo can be viewed to assist in my previous question

Hi Donna and welcome to KH!
Can you tell us the name of the pattern or give us a pattern link? You’re right that slip marker just means to move the marker from the left to the right needle without moving a stitch.
If you yarn over on the front side and purl across the next row, the yarn over is purled too. One possibility is that the marker is moving out of postion because of the yarn overs. It may help to keep track of the number of loops over the needle between the markers and make sure that you have the right number until you purl the sts. Purling should help keep the markers in place.

I merged the two posts so it’s all in one place. Next time if you forget a picture you can just hit reply and add it to your original comment. Makes it easier to help you. Welcome to KH!

the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.

When I yarn over, I wrap the yarn as if I’m making a normal stitch and then leave it in the back if the next stitch is a knit or bring it to the front if I’m going to purl next. If the yarn is over the needle one time, oriented correctly, and is in the correct position to do the next stitch, that’s all that matters. I don’t know if that makes sense or helps any, I thought I’d offer it just in case it will.

There should only be 1 stitch between the markers?

Can you link to the pattern, or at least give us its name and where you got it from? That might help.

Thank y’all so much for helping me & I look forward to your reply.
My pattern is: Lion Brand patter number 80982AD Splendid Triangle Shawl photo attached but not sure the copy is clear /can attach another copy when I’m back home.

Donna

QUOTE=DonnaPotter;1374528]I have started my Triangle Shawl project over at least 4 times because I don’t understand how I am getting increased stitches between my two center markers. Something is going wrong with my YO and other sl marker steps around my center 2markers!
My knitting error is causing the center of my triangle shawl ROW and large HOLE pattern to move and look off/odd. (Sorry seems my photos are to large to attach of my knitting error - maybe operator error lol)

I need assist in understanding what row my error is beginning on as the first 7 or so rows are fine showing the required one stitch between my two markers.

The increase pattern calls for “sl marker” and I believe that just means slip one marker (and not a stitch as well)?
I am yo between markers as in knitting, I do have a row of purl in my repeats but the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.

I am new to knitting and hope my question/problem is clear. Donna potter[/QUOTE]

Oops just shaw your merge response. My pattern is Splendid Triangle Shaw number 80982AD using (Lion Brand yarn)
I attached a copy of my instructions but my copy has my writing notes on it. When I return home in about 3 hrs I can attach a better copy if needed. Thanks so much for your help! Donna

Here’s the link. Splendid Triangle Shaw

In your photo, it does indeed look like the sts between the markers are increasing in number and that’s not correct. The pattern calls for a single stitch between the markers in every row:
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo, [I]sl marker, k 1, sl marker[/I], yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 15 sts.
Row 9: K 2, *yo, k2tog, rep from * to 1 st before marker, yo, k 1, yo, [I]sl marker, k 1, sl marker[/I], yo, k 1, **yo, k2tog, rep from ** to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 23 sts.

I would rip back to the last row that has a single stitch between the markers and try the next row watching that you maintain one stitch between markers on the even and odd rows. Make sure the yo isn’t slipping under the marker iand next to the central backbone knit one. If the yo is shifting, move it to outside the marker. Also, the yarn over doesn’t use a stitch, it occurs between two stitches like this.

Pattern link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80982AD.html

From the pattern:

Row 3: K 2, yo, k 1, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 1, yo, k 2 – 11 sts.
Row 4: Knit.
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo,[B] sl marker, k 1[/B], sl marker, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 15 sts.
Row 6: K 2, p to last 2 sts, k 2.
Rows 7–8: Rep Rows 5 and 6 – 19 sts.

“I am yo between markers as in knitting,”

Do you mean that you’re doing a yo between the markers? If so, that’s part of the problem. I bolded in Row 5 to show that you k, slm, k so that there is one stitch between the markers. That stitch is the center of the shawl and you can see in the pattern picture the pattern the eyelets (holes) should be making.

Have I confused you more? I’ve worked the first 6 rows and find no problem with the pattern as written. Maybe if you have some cheap yarn lying around you could do a test run with it until you figure out what’s going wrong.

Sorry I was out of town and could not view all comments until now.
So I’ll read all replys now and see if I can figure out my mistakes. But one area that im sure now that I have been making is my yo (s) pertaining to the yo after my purl row. (i can view a youtube on this process to ensure i am putting my yo(s) on my needle correctly for k & p rows. Currently reviewing all comments. Normally I would reply faster but but was on the road majority of yesterday. I can’t believe you and others are actually helping me this SITE is so great! Best regards Donna

Wow what a great reply. Regarding “rip” back…would love to be able to do this. Each time I have started over on my project I have taken all stitches off my circular needle. So I would love your advise on how to RIP back to the my last row that has the correct number (1st) between my markers. While I know how to go back a few stitches to correct a mistake and pickup up dropped stitches I am not advanced enough to know how to rip back. Do you know of a link or video on ripping back on circular needles. Thank you so much for your help and further reply. I’m actually knitting this shawl as a gift for my best friend who recently lost her father. Again kudos to you for your expert advise!!!

I am NOT yarning over between stitches. I’m now working to understand how to rip back to my last row with the correct number of sts (1) on my circular needle. Your a sweet heart and not grumpy lol. Your expert advise was/is sooooooo awesome! Donna potter

Could you explain “bring my yarn” to the front when my YO is after a purl row. I understand your yo and leave in back after knit row! Thanks dpotter

Here’s a video for ripping back and getting the stitches on the needle again:

Inserting a needle before unraveling
Just a note: Amy says “cable needle” and really she means “circular needle.” A cable needle is for working cables.

When you’ve done that, you might want to use a lifeline.
Using a Lifeline
Should you make a mistake and have to frog (“rip it! rip it!”) you’ll be able to get the stitches back on the needle more easily. I currently am using two lifelines. I put one in at the beginning of the pattern repeats and move the first one up at the beginning of the next repeat. I’m using crochet thread.

I think you just made a major error clear…the knit to last stich before my marker…yo, k1, yo, sl marker. Wow I’ll try to watch this & many tks Donna

Wow awesome I guess thats why my pattern instructions called for those needles LOL. Ill check these links out. YIPIEE I’m so excited that It looks as through I’ll be able to restart to my correct row and actually FINISH my triangle shawl this go-round! I can’t thank you enough for all your expert advise!!! Sincerely thankful Donna potter from texas

Insert the needle where actually?

This site is great. It’s here that I learned just about everything I know about knitting and how to find things when I need to. I’m still learning so much from everyone!

BTW I’m not an expert, there are experts here and they are my mentors. I do :heart: them and their wonderful teaching. Sometimes I get to pass along what I’ve learned through them. That makes me feel really good. :woohoo:

Puleeeeze! I do have a reputation to maintain. :shrug:

OK, so you’re not doing a yo so something else is going on. I find that the only way I can really figure out how to do it right, and often I don’t figure out what I did wrong, is to just keep at it with yarn I can sacrifice to learning until I get it right.

Could you explain “bring my yarn” to the front when my YO is after a purl row. I understand your yo and leave in back after knit row! Thanks dpotter

When all is said and done, a yo is simply a matter of the yarn is lying across the needle. When you wrap the yarn as if to knit it is lying across the needle and the working yarn is in back of your work; if you need to purl next, just move it between the needles as you would to be ready to purl making sure the strand is still over your needle (it will then be wrapped around, not just over, the needle.) It took me quite a while to figure out what the instructions given in writing and various videos really boiled down to. If this doesn’t help you, please just disregard it all and go with what does. We all see and interpret things differently.

Got it/got it…but I can’t find a video that explains how to YO when required AFTER my LAST row that was purled. Maybe if I’m required to YO on the row that I’m knitting it doesn’t matter that I pulled on the last row??? I found the video on yo when purling…but my patter (splendid triangle shawl does not call for this task). On the road again soon so I hope you can reply. Many advance thanks Donna potter