Pattern writing - what do you find useful in them...

I have written a few patterns (simple ones that need rewriting) and I’m wondering what you all find the most useful and/or the most frustrating when reading or knitting a pattern. I’ll start -

I want these in patterns for sure!

1. Stitch counts at the end of the row especially when increasing or decreasing.
  2. Putting knitting terms in the notes/info. This is especially important for terms that vary culturally.

@MsGip1234

3 Likes

A chart if it’s something worth charting. I don’t do patterns often but what I’m doing now, I skimmed the written part of the pattern, read back in the book to get the wording, then I just go by the chart.

Lately when I’m making something up I only do a chart.

It will be interesting to see if I can read my own pattern translated from chicken scratch on scrap paper for my dog sweaters.

2 Likes

Jan, I’m all for stitch counts and lists of abbreviations or explanations of unusual stitches and Mike, yes to charts. So helpful…

I seriously dislike patterns without schematics. I like the confirmation of the measurements and diagram of any unusual construction.

I also like lists of materials that include yards or meters of yarn required for various sizes.

1 Like

I agree with everyones’ suggestions and will add my want of at least one nice, clear picture of the completed item. I can’t stand patterns without a decent picture.

1 Like

Amen to that! I recently knit a sweater from Interweave Knits. The sweater was in dark yarn on a black background and photographed in low light. I had to wait for the Ravelry page before ordering yarn, just to decipher the pattern stitch.

Wow, they didn’t think that through when the took the pictures did they?! I agree a decent picture is important. It needs to be in a color that let’s you see the design as well. If it’s possible another photo ON a person if it’s a garment. I’ve skipped patterns that had something I considered unflattering like bunched up yarn in the armpit. :roll_eyes: