Pattern question

I’m knitting the sleeve to a toddler sweater. Right now I have 67 stitches on my needle.

The instructions are telling me to: proceed in pat as given for Back inc 1 st each end of needle on 5th and following 6th rows to 87 sts, taking inc sts into pat

The pat for Back is:
1st row: *K3. P1. Rep from * to last 3 sts. K3.
2nd row: Purl
3rd row: K1. *P1. K3. Rep from * to last 2 sts. P1. K1.
4th row: Purl
These 4 rows complete one pattern.

My question is concerning the instructions about the 5th and 6th rows. Do I stitch 4 rows following the pattern, then when I come back to the 1st row the second time, inc? Then do the same for the next row (which would be row 2)? And then I don’t know when I need to inc again.

If you know what I’m talking about I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

It looks like for the first set of increases your 5th and 6th rows will be rows 1 and 2 of your pattern. Then your next 5th and 6th rows will be the 3rd and 4th rows, and so on. After you do your 6th row increase you start your count all over.

I think they mean that you increase after 5 rows and then after 6 more rows. In this case when they say 5th and following 6th, they mean 6 rows after the 5th row. If they wanted you to do it in the 5th and 6th they would have said ‘next two rows.’

So, to be a little clearer, increase on the 5th row and then on every 6th row after that until you get to 87 stitches.

Ingrid, what you said makes a lot more sense. I don’t know what I was thinking… :doh:

Sometimes patterns make things a lot more confusing than they need be. :wink:

When something is bracketed and followed by a number then you do what’s in the brackets that many times.

In this case (yfwd, k2tog) twice just means yfwd, k2tog, yfwd, k2tog.