Pattern modifications--Need your opinion!

Hi everyone. I am working on Trellis from Knitty.

I have already decided to make the cables mirror each other. With help from folks here an on Ravelry, I’ve gotten it ironed out how to do this.

Now I am thinking about changing the bottom from seed stitch to 1x1 ribbing. I like the seed stitch, but it’s kind of flaring out.

Or, I am thinking about keeping the seed stitch and going down a needle size.

What do you all think?

Oooh, so cute! Thanks for pointing this out, I’ve lots of babies to knit for! I vote smaller needles and keeping the seed stitch. Ribbing would be too…expected. :slight_smile:

You really should put it on you list, Zina! It really isn’t a complicated pattern at all, and I love the fact that it’s gender neutral. I am also thinking about doing the fronts at the same time as the backs and doing the whole thing on a circular needle.

Already in the queue! :slight_smile:

I have done a couple of tops for myself with seed stitch on the bottom. I agree if you go down a size or two on the needles that should help eliminate the flaring.

Awhile back on Ravelry a woman had the same dilemma, though on a different pattern; the seed st edging flared out. She was advised to use smaller needles, she did and reported that it worked really well.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I am going to stick with the seed stitch because it matches the centers of the large cables. I am going to go down a needle size. The yarn I’m using isn’t very stretchy so I think that’s part of my issue. (Bernat Satin–let me tell you, it does hold up to repeated frogging very well!)

I am also thinking about changing the twists on the outside of the big cable to something else–it’s really clever how the designer used them to create the illusion of one big cable, but it just doesn’t look very good, and I’ve tried executing them in a couple of different ways. I think it’s again related to the non-stretchiness of the yarn.

Hopefully this most recent frogging will be the last! :slight_smile:

Marria, you could go down a needle size on the seed stitch, but another idea and one I recommend is to use a few less stitches on the seed stitch. And then add them back on the last row of seed stitch right where the cables will be.