Pattern Adjustment For the Larger Sized Woman

Does anyone know of a computer program that will allow you to create a knitted garment in larger sizes , or a good book or perhaps the basic math to making garments fit the full figured woman.

I see all sorts of sweaters that I would love to make, only to find that they do not come in plus sizes or just dont come up to my measurements.

I know that there is a way to create kewl , hip knitting patterns for the larger sized woman and I also know that there is a great need for them.

When I have to hunt for 4 days to find just one pattern that will fit without altering, its a shame. I may just need to learn to knit in the old way and get out the old calculator. Does anyone else have this same problem or am I alone on this one?

If I can get the information , then I will begin to design and create patterns for the ample knitters that want.

Thanks for reading this,
Anne

Have you looked at The Knitters’ Handy Book of Sweater Patterns? It gives charts for every type of sweater in different gauges up to 54". I don’t know how large you’re looking for–I read you post about losing a lot of weight :thumbsup: --but if you need larger, I’d imagine that you could just extend the chart for even bigger sizes. Then, when you’re svelte, you can still use the book. :smiley:

I have found that you can get lots of info if you join ample-knitters and there’s a yahoo group that is a take off of AK, I believe it’s knitplus; just go to yahoo.com & search for yahoo groups & put knitplus in & it should lead you directly to it, there are lots of tips there, too. :wink:

Thank you so much Amy and Rebecca for responding so fast. That is what I love about this forum. Tha fact that so many people care and are willing to help.

I willshare a bit of my story with you in hopes that it will help someone out there who may be like I was.

I became very sick when I was 29 with liver failure, diabeties and edema.
My body was holding fluid to the point that I weightd 638 pounds and was bound in this house for 7 years. The doctors gave me only 5 years at the maximun to live and I was in so much pain that I prayed nightly to die.

After a while and a lot of suffering, I finally decided to Live and that is just what I did. I got out of that bed and I said if I die I am going to die on my feet and could only walk a few steps and then have to sit down. I kept going until I could walk the length of the house and I would sit in a chair and to sweep the floors. Now 4 years and 286 pounds as of today, later, I am a new woman. I can shop and walk and do things that I never thought I would ever go do again.

The problem is that even thought I have lost so much weight I have a lot of loose skin and rolls to hide. I am 61 inches around the chest but I wear a 71" around the chest garment so that it will be loose and flowing to hide my flaws. until I loose 125 more pounds and have sugery I will have to contuniue to wear my clothing very lose and flowing. That way O look normal and my shape is flatering and noone would ever know the mess underneath.

There are a lot of women and men out there that is like me. We need to hide our flaws and cover things that we dont want seen up.

The good news is that the doctors have told me that I can be fixed is I loose more and I will have a normal body again, but until that time I have to have a 5x in a pattern to make things work for me.

I do hope that this clears up my delima. It is very embaressing to talk about this but it is a part of a lot of peoples lives. I jsut want to give the larger indivudals in our society a chance to feel good about themselves and be able to make something up to date and hip to wear at any size.

Hugs to you all for being here for me
I have a new life now , but I must never forget about the old one
someone out there just might need my help to live

Anne

Thank you so much Amy and Rebecca for responding so fast. That is what I love about this forum. Tha fact that so many people care and are willing to help.

I willshare a bit of my story with you in hopes that it will help someone out there who may be like I was.

I became very sick when I was 29 with liver failure, diabeties and edema.
My body was holding fluid to the point that I weightd 638 pounds and was bound in this house for 7 years. The doctors gave me only 5 years at the maximun to live and I was in so much pain that I prayed nightly to die.

After a while and a lot of suffering, I finally decided to Live and that is just what I did. I got out of that bed and I said if I die I am going to die on my feet and could only walk a few steps and then have to sit down. I kept going until I could walk the length of the house and I would sit in a chair and to sweep the floors. Now 4 years and 286 pounds as of today, later, I am a new woman. I can shop and walk and do things that I never thought I would ever go do again.

The problem is that even thought I have lost so much weight I have a lot of loose skin and rolls to hide. I am 61 inches around the chest but I wear a 71" around the chest garment so that it will be loose and flowing to hide my flaws. until I loose 125 more pounds and have sugery I will have to contuniue to wear my clothing very lose and flowing. That way O look normal and my shape is flatering and noone would ever know the mess underneath.

There are a lot of women and men out there that is like me. We need to hide our flaws and cover things that we dont want seen up.

The good news is that the doctors have told me that I can be fixed is I loose more and I will have a normal body again, but until that time I have to have a 5x in a pattern to make things work for me.

I do hope that this clears up my delima. It is very embaressing to talk about this but it is a part of a lot of peoples lives. I jsut want to give the larger indivudals in our society a chance to feel good about themselves and be able to make something up to date and hip to wear at any size.

Hugs to you all for being here for me
I have a new life now , but I must never forget about the old one
someone out there just might need my help to live

Anne

Below is a picture of me last year after losing the first 150 pounds…I have lost 136 more since that phoptgraph… :thumbsup:

You’re gorgeous and I admire your determination. Not many people can do what you’ve done! You’re an inspiration! :heart:

You are beautiful and I am so happy for you! I wish I knew the answer to your questions, but if I find anything I’ll share it with you!

Keep up the good work, you are looking fabulous!

You are beautiful Anne and I also admire your determination…sounds as if you’re beautiful on the inside as well…you will find some wonderful and understanding friends on this forum…we are family :cheering: and I doubt there is any one person here without a flaw or two :wink:

Joyce