Painful thumb and wrist from knitting

Any advice? I’ve been knitting so much, that my thumb and wrist are very painful. I don’t whether this is tendinitis or a strain Had this happened to anyone else? I can barely use my knitting hand Help!

1 Like

I have had it. I was making slippers out of thick roving & machine wash felting them.

It does go away after you rest your hands. I found a heating pad at night as I went to sleep helped. But it only truly went away when I went back to much smaller yarn, which Im more accustomed to.

Thank you so much for answering me I read that it could be carpal Tunnel! My thumb and wrist really hurt So, I’m not knitting now, and using ice and NSAD I hope this gets better So, heat at night Anything else?

I was making baby hats with super bulky yarn, and knitting for hours Hopefully, ice and heat, and resting my hand , and ibuprofen will help Thank you so much

1 Like

happened to me … scared the whatever out of me … started excercising my fingers and thumb … massaging my thumb … my thumb got it the worst …

patience … totally bull-headed refusal to quit knitting … I got out a loom and tried that … ooops remembered why I don’t use the loom … knitting is often my ‘life line’ emotionally…

yep … using teeny needles and too thick yarn can bring this on … so does the refusal to quit part…

it went away (TG) … still knitting with smaller needles … trying to steer clear of the thicker yarn

thinking of you … good to hear you are still knitting AND being smart about material/tool choices
:checkered_flag:

1 Like

Thank you so much, everyone Does anyone remember how long it took to heal? This pain just started a day or 2 ago, and I’ve stopped my knitting for now

1 Like

Hi, sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I too had the pain from the lower part of my thumb to the wrist. I tried ibuprofen and it helped, but did not completely take it away. I had it for 2 months. I finally went to see the orthopedist and he said I have tendinitis. He gave me a cortisone shot and in 2-3 days I was better again. If you can see an orthopedist. I went to my regular dr., and he sent me for an X-ray which showed arthritis, but I guess whoever read the x-day did not pick up on the tendinitis. I felt there was more going on, so I went. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

mine was gone in about a week
have not had it since
still helps me think more about what I am doing and what I’m doing it with
of all the tools we have …
WE are the most important part…
including our individual hands
:sunny:

Thanks I think I will need to see an orthopedic dr ,also , for an injection . I’m sure this is tendinitis, and I can’t continue to take ibuprofen

2 Likes

It was years ago but I dont remember it taking a long time to heal after I stopped making those thick slippers. I still get requests for them.

BTW. Did you knpw that vitamin b6 helps prevent carpal tunnel? I took it for another reason since 1991. Im the only female in the family - 5 aunts & 9 cousins who did NOT get carpal tunnel. When I first started taking Mg & B6, it was to prevent oxalate type kidney stones. The book I read didnt know why it worked just that it worked. Much later I discovered that when you have high insulin (pre diabetes) Mg & B6 are leeched out of your body. Pre diabetes can go on for decades undetected. I kept thinking something wasnt right but since my blood sugar was normal, my Doctor Poo-pooed my concerns. Later - 2012 or so, I did develop type 2. But I was a lot wiser by then. I went low carb & completely reversed it. No meds. Look into it if you have a family history of impossible-to-lose-weight &/or carpal tunnel or kidney stones. There are other symptoms too. Like excessive desire for sweets.

BTW I changed doctors but the new one still questions my curing myself with low carb. But cant deny the huge weight loss & normal blood sugar.

3 Likes

Hi there!
sorry to hear about your hand… its very annoying when that happens.

I was knitting with a friend once and she was using the continental way of knitting where you don’t make a big movement to put the wool round the needle it kind of just hooks on as you knit (kind of like crochet).

You could try a youtube video? I tried it and picked it up quite fast!

1 Like

I’ll check out the video very painful wrist, and hand

1 Like

I found the video And tried it I need to practice it a little But it definitely doesn’t put as much strain on your thumb and wrist The joints in my thumb are so sore I’m 65, so I’m sure it’s some arthritis, too.

2 Likes

Did the orthopedic dr give you the injection in your thumb or wrist, or what part of your hand? This is awful, I even have pain going up my arm .

1 Like

Sorry to hear you have pain from knitting.
I have not had this from knitting but I did once have RSI, tennis elbow and golf wrist at the same time. As physio for one would be bad for the other I wasn’t able to have physio but instead my doctor told me I needed to wear supports to rest the areas and give them a proper break.
Mine was from holding a baby too long for too many nights (reflux). I know other parents have had the same. Very painful for several months.
The supports didn’t not really relieve my pain as such but they did a good job of physically reminding me not to do so much with that hand/arm and the problem did eventually pass.
You can buy hand/wrist/thumb support from a pharmacy or online and ave delivered, or some supermarkets. I think it will help a little whilst you seek medical advice.
Also ibuprofen gel rather than tablets may be an alternative to give your stomach rest.

I hope you have some relief soon. Try to stay positive, whilst it may last quite a while it doesn’t necessarily mean it is a permanent problem such as arthritis.

1 Like

Thank you for writing to me I stopped knitting for now This never happened to me , and I’ve been knitting for years Very painful I will try to find the hand/wrist support. Do you think CVS will have it?

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know CVS, I think we are in different places.

It sounds so bad. But it could still be a temporary problem. Mine was, even though it didn’t feel temporary.

1 Like

Hi, sorry I haven’t been on. Yes. He numbed it with like a cold spray, and then the injection in my wrist.

Epsom salts in warm bath water for around half hour —either soak in the bath or just soak hands or feet in a foot spa. Around one and a half mugs in your bath . Good online next day delivery ( AmZ) costing me less than £15 enough for some time, NO drugs.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve had a lot of advice. I would only add that it doesn’t sound like carpal tunnel unless you have numbness and tingling in your fingertips. Definitely rest your hand and try to avoid corded cortisone if you can tendonitis does get better and it does not show up on an X-ray.

1 Like