Oh oh.... Mistake

I don’t know why or how but I when I was casting off the end of the back piece for the vest which I am making the numbers were all wrong.

First I needed to cast off 12 sts at the beg of 2 rows. I did, but ended up with 57 sts instead of 55. Being lazy and not wanting to take apart 2 rows I went on. The next 2 rows I was supposed to cast off 13 sts at the beg if each row. I decided to make up for the lost 2 sts from the previous 2 rows and add them here, casting off 14 sts on each side instead of 13. I ended up with 30 sts instead of 29…

I just decided to cast off the remaining 30 sts and end the job…

Now I regret it all and wonder if it will cause a problem when I will need to join the front with the back… in short a huge mess.

what should I do? Do I really need to rip out 5 rows and redo them? I already weaved in the end…

Is there another way to go around this?

I think that because of the stretchiness of yarn, especially wool, a stitch here or there on the bind off shouldn’t be a problem. You should be able to seam to the fronts without a problem. You could bind off on the front to match the back as well.
On the other hand, 5 rows aren’t very many to rip out and re-do on a project like this.
Are you counting the sts dropped over and off the needle as you bind off? You need to work 13sts in order to bind off 12sts, for example on the first bind off.

Thank you… i made sure to not count that first stitch but maybe I miscounted somewhere else. I think I will put it aside and come back to it once I have the patience to rip those 5 rows… I hate doing that because I risk losing stitches and having to look for them.

Thank you… i made sure to not count that first stitch but maybe I
miscounted somewhere else. I think I will put it aside and come back to it
once I have the patience to rip those 5 rows… I hate doing that because I
risk losing stitches and having to look for them.

I find that the easiest way to do this is to rip back 4 rows and on the 5th, put the needle into each stitch as I pull the yarn out of that stitch. This works particularly well as long as your yarn isn’t too slippery.

You can always wait and see how the back matches up with the front at the shoulders and if it’s ok, just seam the two together.

1 Like

If that happened to me, as I know I don’t always fudge my knitting right either. Yes, the woven in end can be hard to find. I’d do this. I would take a knitting needle several sizes smaller than your knit your garment with, and without doing any ripping, pick up the stiches of the row you are thinking of ripping back to. Even if you cannot find your woven in end, you can find where you could snip your yarn and take the top of it off, leaving enough for joining new yarn. The smaller needle then is not meant to knit with, just for picking up the stitches. I have done this for years though I rarely use a 1 or 2 needle, to pick up dropped stitches. That way I don’t miss any. And don’t have to use a lifeline.

Hope that helps.

That is a good idea @sallybode, but I find it really difficult to recognize stitches and pick them up… I am such a beginner I am not sure I will be able to do this.