OH NO! One side front of cardigan longer than other!

:aww: I just finished both sides of the pattern “Babies and Bears Sweater for Grown-ups” (pattern by Carol A. Anderson at Cottage Creations) and the left side of the cardigan is longer than the right side! This is my first cardigan and I CAN NOT BELIEVE that I was so distracted to have a 8 stitch difference!:tap:

Any suggestions?? I am really at a loss as to what to do to fix something like that.:wall:

The only thing that comes to mind is cutting it & grafting the edges using kitchner stitch (just like closing the toe of a sock.) Does it have any plain stockinette sections that have no increases/decreases? Or is there some way to hide the graft by butting it against a place where the graft would be less noticeable? This is one where I would take it to my LYS for help.

Where is the piece too long? I think that would make the difference in how you fixed it. If your piece is too long where you have your shaping then I’d think you would have to undo your bind off, frog down to where you started your shaping and work the piece again.

If your armhole matches up and it’s just the part before you have your front shaping then you can take out your cast on row, take out a few rows and bind off where you need to in order for your sides to match up.

This is the reason that I always work the front pieces to a cardigan at the same time. I may have a lot of stitches on the needle (which is ok because I use circular needles for everything) but my pieces are always the same length and the shaping is always on the same row.

That is a great idea. I never thought of it but sure would be a good solution. Thank you.

Thanks for that info!