Norweigan Purl

Is there anyone here who believes this special type of purling is somehow required to get the best possible result out of knitting. I don’t believe so, but was wondering if someone with advanced knitting experience believed this to be true. thx.

[color=blueviolet]I don’t believe it’s better, but I don’t think it’s worse either. I don’t know why anyone would think that. I mean is the english way better than the continental way? Or vice versa? There isn’t a right way or best way to knit,or in this case purl, IMO. But just like everything in knitting it’s all person tastes. There will be people who say it’s better and there will be people who say it isn’t. As for me, I like the Norweigan purl, but I also like the continental purl too and I use both frequently.[/color]

It’s one of those things that’s a matter of personal preference. I, personally, have never tried it (it seems like too many steps to me) and I’m happy with my regular old continental purl so that’s what I stick with.

I use the Norwegian purl because I couldn’t get my hands to purl any other way. I believe that once you are practiced at it, it’s just as fast as any other way of purling. I think that I can actually purl faster than I can knit, which is kind of weird. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re knitting continental style (yarn in the left hand), then Norwegian purl can help you get through that awkward stage of purling ‘the other’ way…

I used it for about 2 weeks… then persevered with the continental purl… the norwegian one took too long for me…

Norwegian purl is good when there are just a couple of purl stitches thrown in to a mostly knit pattern. I also like the fact that you don’t have to bring the yarn forward. For me, it’s too much motion for straight purling or ribbing, my hands get tired. If it weren’t for that, I’d use it all the time.