Noobie question - joining yarn in a really obvious spot

Hi, this is my first post. I’m taking up knitting (again) and this time I’m determined to actually finish a project. I’ve started small - literally - with a hooded sweater for my three year old.

I’ve run into an issue with the front. The pattern called for me to shape the neck as follows (starting from a width of 72 stitches):

• knit 31 stitches, turn and place remaining stitches on a keeper (big safety pin thingy).
  • on next 9 rows, decrease one stitch at neckline, then continue until front measures 17.5 inches long. Cast Off.

Okay, so I did that. The next step, though, is to start with the remaining 41 stitches, and to cast off ten at the bottom of the neck, then go on to repeat the directions above.

My question - how do I start the wool again in this location (smack in the middle of the garment), without making a mess? I mean, although I’ve done a pretty good job with the tension, the stiches are a bit pulled to one side due to the cast offs and the keeper pulling in the opposite directions. It looks like I’m going to have to anchor the yarn with a knot, which I’m afraid will pull. Argh.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

I’m sorry I don’t know the answer, but someone more knowledgeable should be along soon!

Don’t worry about the yarn end and the pulled stitches for now, just leave about a 6 inch tail and begin knitting the other half of the front. As you get the stitches off the holder, they’ll even out again and when you get a few inches knit, the yarn end will still be there. You don’t have to knot it, unless you want to do a temporary knot to keep it in place. When you’re doing the finishing on the sweater, you’ll weave the end into the surrounding stitches like you will at the end of the bound off stitches.

Also when you block or wash it, that evens out any odd looking stitches.

sue

Thanks Suzeeq,

That’s a relief - the pattern was going so well up to now and I really didn’t want to have it look odd at the neckline.