Newbie troubles

the pattern calls for 300 crochet chain cast stiches, that completly fills my needle. i don’t see how i can knit a scarf horizonally. is there something i’m not relizing? please help. i’m really excited about my first project and would llike to get started.

I would use a long circular needle for that one…

And, what you are describing is a provisional caston. That means you are keeping those sts “live” to add something to them later on.

Do you have a link to the pattern?

To knit yourself a scarf horizontally, you’d probably want to use a circular needle. Preferably a longish one so you don’t have to worry about your stitches dropping off either end from being all bunched up. Just knit back and forth on it as though it’s a pair of straight needles and you’re good to go. (I actually like to use circular needles for everything, regardless of whether or not the pattern calls for them - I find they feel lighter to work with, which is wonderful for my wrists. Your mileage may vary.)

Thank you soo much. i just bought interchangable needles that came with circular extensions so they should work out perfectly. i can’t believe i didn’t think of that. thanks again, i’m so excited.

Circ sets are the BEST!!! :cheering: