New Year's Eve 2009 Chat KAL Tonight!

Can you believe it’s almost 2009?! :thud:

Remember last year, when we did the 2008 New Year KH dishcloth together? We talked in the chat room while we were working on it, then posted photos here in the forum of our completed projects.

(Some of us were too busy chatting to get any knitting done, but it was still lots of fun.) :slight_smile:

I’m willing to do it again this year if any of you are interested. All we need to do that night is grab our yarn and needles, and talk through midnight about our plans for the new year.

I’m on the east coast of US, so I’ll stay up til 3 am to welcome everyone to the knit-along as midnight approaches in their part of the country. (I’m a night owl, so it will be easy for me.)

I’m thinking it would be cool to make a little coaster together. We could keep it by our computers all year long, to remember our New Year’s Eve KAL together. :slight_smile:

Does anyone want to make a chart for us? The coaster would measure about 4 inches square. It should say something like “KH Forum 2009 New Year KAL”. Or just “KH Forum 2009”. Maybe we could have little knitting needles at the bottom and/or top of the chart.

(And it would be easier to work on while we chat, since it’s a quick knit.) :wink:

Anyone want to join us?

I remember this last year! It was my very first dishcloth! :woohoo:
While I can’t desigh anything, I’d love to participate in the knit along/chat! I will keep watching this thread to see what’s happening.

Thanks for joining! Hey, even if it’s just you and me, I’m still in.
:hug:

I am willing to join in again too…unless I wind up going out of town (son has been sick, so we may hang at home).

I came across this pattern (it’s free) today while reading blogs I’m subscribed to:

I think these are pretty small…and I thought of them when I saw Sandy’s post.

Nice! :thumbsup:

The only thing missing is KH. Maybe we can add “KH Forum” at the top or bottom (or both) in duplicate stitch. :think:

Let’s see…

DeAnzaJig designed a washcloth for the Olympic KAL. Maybe she could do one for the New Year’s KAL?

Thanks auburnchick. :slight_smile:
Last year, our pattern was designed by Eloewien.

Let’s wait one more day, and see if either of them wants to join in on our KAL. :thumbsup:

I’d like to join. Sounds like it’d be fun. :slight_smile:

I’ll join in! It’s been a while since I found someone using the chat room. Usually have to go there and wait for visitors!

I’ll stop in, and hopefully knit a few rounds, wine in hand… I really need a coaster next to my computer… both for the 5am coffee, as well as the 10pm wine! :knitting:

Auburn Chick… I am a Bama Girl, but I LOVE your coasters for 2009! Those would have made great Christmas gifts! Maybe I’ll start working on some for 2010!!! Do you have the pattern???

I’m so glad we are doing this again. I couldn’t quite stay up long enough to wish everyone a Happy New Year last year but I will join in with the knitting and stay up as long as I can, it was fun last year!

War Eagle (although y’all did beat us this year…grrr).

Click on this link for the pattern. I cannot take credit for it. Another gal wrote it. She usually sells her patterns, but she’s offered this one for free on her web site.

Yay! :cheering:
Thank you all for joining our 2009 New Year’s Eve KAL!
:woohoo:

I haven’t heard from either DeAnzajig or Eloewien.
I think I’ll have a go at designing one myself. :thumbsup:

I’ll post the pattern tonight. It will be simple and easy (because that’s all I know how to do).
:muah:

Here’s the little coaster I made today:

Here’s the written out pattern. (I’ll have a chart later):

Materials: Size US 7 straight needles
Worsted weight cotton in two contrasting colors.
[I]I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream Twists in the color “Denim Twists” (blue), and Lily Sugar 'n Cream in Red (red).[/I]

Using the blue yarn, cast on 17 stitches.
Knit 4 rows.
Row 5: K3, P11, K3
(start using both yarns on next row)
Row 6: K5, K3 red, K1 blue, K3 red, K5 blue
Row 7: K3 blue, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P3 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, K3 blue
Row 8: K5 blue, K3 red, K1 blue, K1 red, K1 blue, K1 red, K5 blue
Row 9: K3 blue, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, K3 blue
Row 10: K5 blue, K3 red, K1 blue, K3 red, K5 blue
Row 11: with blue yarn - K3, P11, K3
Row 12: with blue yarn - Knit one row
(use both yarns again on next row)
Row 13: K3 blue, P1 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, K3 blue
Row 14: K4 blue, K1 red, K2 blue, K1 red, K1 blue, K2 red, K1 blue, K1 red, K4 blue
Row 15: K3 blue, P1 blue, P3 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, K3 blue
Row 16: K4 blue, K4 red, K3 blue, K2 red, K4 blue
Row 17: K3 blue, P1 blue, P3 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, K3 blue
Row 18: K4 blue, K1 red, K2 blue, K1 red, K1 blue, K2 red, K1 blue, K1 red, K4 blue
Row 19: K3 blue, P1 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, P1 red, P2 blue, P1 red, P1 blue, K3 blue
(Cut red yarn now, and continue knitting with only the blue yarn)
Row 20: Knit one row
Row 21: K3, P11, K3
Knit 4 rows
Bind off all stitches, and weave in ends.

I’ve never really made a chart before, so this doesn’t have the knits and purls on it…just the color chart. Sorry I don’t have the skills to make it right. But, you can at least use it as a guide. :slight_smile:

I’ll drop by for the KAL. We are such early birds, I haven’t made it to midnight in several years. Your pattern looks good, and I definitely need a coaster by the computer.

Thanks for joining! :slight_smile:

I just updated our chart, showing where the garter stitch border is located. Now, all you have left to figure out is the stockinette center. Just knit the center 11 stitches on the front, and purl the same stitches on the back.
:thumbsup:

See you all tonight! :hug:

Thanks for the design. I went to the chat room however for some reason the server keeps knocking me off claiming my time limit had expired. I got the pattern had have 5 rows done, about to start on the color work. Will check back into the chatroom a bit later on to see if the problem has been corrected.

I really want to join in. But… we are having super-high winds, and power is iffy!

If - when things die down, then I’ll feel more secure about keeping my computer on.

And I’ll join on in!

Dot