New world record for fastest knitter

Hi all,

I had to post this here. A lady on another forum had a link to a “fastest knitter” challenge:

http://www.bhkc.co.uk/data/fastest.htm

This weekend, a Dutch woman took up the challenge and beat Hazel Tindall’s Record of 255 stitches in 3 minutes (4mm needles with 60 stitches cast on). Her name is Miriam Tegels, and she knit 257 stitches in 3 minutes (4mm needles with 60 stitches cast on).

Apparently photos of the event will appear on this website:

http://www.handwerkbeurs.nl/snel_breien.htm

Anyone here want to take up the challenge? :wink:

(PS Count me out!!!) :lol:

Holy moly :!:

i’m gonna go start practicing right now! 8) tee hee…

Kelly

WOWWIE!!
:shock:
I’ve never actually timed myself. Oh boy oh boy oh boy … where’s a stopwatch??? :lol: I highly doubt that I’m that fast.

I don’t feel bad though, because I found out this weekend that I walk and knit at the same time. :smiley: I accompanied my mother on her errands this weekend and took my knitting with me. The only time that I didn’t knit was when I ate!! :wink: Yippy! (Of course, it was only stockinette :oops:) So here’s Ms. Tegels’ next challenge … knit 257 sts in 3 min WHILE WALKING! :lol:

Woah!!! Now THAT’s fast!!

I’ve always wondered how fast “record breaking fast” is. 257 sts. in 3 minutes! (And that’s including turning the work 4 times, it sounds like.) Wow! That’s 85 stitches per minute!!!

I was wondering if I was fast enough to use “SPM+++” in my knitter’s geek code. I knew there were faster knitters than me, but I didn’t know how much faster…

SPM stands for Stitches Per Minute, and the +++ is “fast enough to compete in a speed contest” basically, or, fast enough that people gawk when they watch you knit! I’m guessing this would have to be at least 65 SPM, then, to qualify for the +++.

I didn’t think I was +++ fast. This confirms it! I think my timed record is 51/SPM, and my typical speed is closer to 40/SPM. Which is ++, pretty fast, but not “keep the fire extinguisher handy” fast! :lol:

Amy

Curious … is this only reflecting her garter?? Or is she throwing in some Purls and YO’s etc?? :?

Wow…

I am happy to be able to knit without looking (comes in really handy when I knit in class, so I can look at the teacher for long periods of time and nod and let them know I’m actually paying attention).

But 257 s/3m? I am in awe.

A guy at the gym came across an article about the champ in The Wall Street Journal. That was thoughtful of him to to bring the article to my attention. Anyhoo … he let me keep the paper. The article is definately going in my knitting “scrapbook”!!!

By the by … he asked me what the average hand knitting speed it. I totally don’t know. Even though I’ve never timed myself, I think I can manage about 90 st in 3 minute … I think :? Anyone have any idea what the “average” speed might be???

BUMP

well of course i didn’t notice this was an old post until i was done reading the whole thing but i couldn’t help but chuckle all through reading it and imagining an “outsider” listening to this conversation. :shock: