New knitter needs help

Below is the pattern i’m using. I am a new knitter, can cast on knit and purl but that’s it!!!
I understand what i’m supposed to do with pick up and knit stitches around edges. I just don’t know how to do it.
Do I used the empty needle and pick up the stitch then knit it on the needle with my loops. Or pick up with the needle with loops on it. Do I pick up and knit each one or pick up all the stitches then knit. I have looked at videos and instructions but they all look like they’re picking up stitches on a piece that is remove from the needles (bound off?). I can’t find anything that tells or shows me how to do what this pattern says.

Please help…getting very frustrated and ready to go back to crocheting…LOL

Cast on 34 stitches on size 10 1/2 circular needles. Knit back and forth in garter stitch for 34 rows.
Now you are going to pick up stitches all around your rectangle and begin knitting in the round. Pick up and knit stitches as follows:

• Pick up and knit twisted 16 stitches along first edge of rectangle. There are 17 ridges, so you just pick up one stitch between each ridge.
  • Pick up and knit 34 stitches along the bottom of your rectangle.
  • Pick up 16 stitches along last edge as you did for the first edge.

You will now have 100 stitches and will be knitting in the round. Knit every row for 64 rows. Cast off.

• Pick up and knit twisted 16 stitches along first edge of rectangle. There are 17 ridges, so you just pick up one stitch between each ridge.
  • Pick up and knit 34 stitches along the bottom of your rectangle.
  • Pick up 16 stitches along last edge as you did for the first edge.

Sounds like a Booga bag.

First, from what I’ve read, forget about the ‘twisted’ part of the picking up stitches.

Second, forget the term ‘pick up and knit.’ It’s the same as just picking up stitches.

So you’ll have your live stitches on your right needle, and will pull a loop through down the left side–one between each ridge. Then pick up 34 stitches along the bottom, and 16 up the other short side. It will be awkward at first, but you’ll start knitting the sides of your bag in the round at this point and it will be very easy once you get a few rows in.

do you pick them up with the right needle (with live stitches) and just keep picking up till they’re all on then knit or knit as you pick up (pick up with empty needle and knit to full needle)

ohh and thanks for replying

Pick them up with the end of the needle that has the live stitches on it–just pick up until you’re all the way around, and start knitting from the other end of the needle onto the needle with the working yarn on it.

Have you seen Amy’s video on picking up stitches? In case you haven’t, it’s on this page; you will need to scroll down a bit – it’s under the “Assorted Topics” heading.

i got it!!!
lol…thanks ingrid