Needle Length

I’ve notice that alot of blankets have you cast on 90+ stitches. How long of a needle do I need for that? I have some 14 inches but have not seen any longer except circular needles but I’m not sure how that would work. Advice anyone?

Thanks
:?? :??

Usually with knitting a blanket you will want to use circs…you just knit back and forth on them like they were straights…don’t have to join…I don’t use any of my straight needles anymore…circs for everything :thumbsup:

The 14" will work but I’ll have to agree with Dustinac. The circulars will be much easier on your wrists. I started doing afghans on 14"ers and ended up with a serious case of swollen wrist joints and tendonitis. Once I started using the circulars, all pain and swelling went away. Remember, doing blankets involves alot of knitting so save yourself some pain! You ought to be able to do the 90 sts on 24" or 29", depending on your needle size.

Wow that was a quick responce.

Thanks. I’m going to have to give it a try. I got a set with a starter kit someone bought me but I haven’t use them yet. I’ve been intimidated by them. Maybe it’s time I got over it :wink:

Yea I started a blanket with 99 on my 14 and I do have some wrist pain. I knew there was a better way.

You guys rock.

Just think of them as 2 short needles connected by a cord. I like them because the straight part is so short. I tried 10" straights after years of using circs (even though I hadn’t knit in many years) and I found they just got in the way. The short ends on circs fit my hand so much better.

Yea I started a blanket with 99 on my 14 and I do have some wrist pain. I knew there was a better way.

You guys rock.

Just in case you don’t know (though you probably do) you don;t have to frog or slip all the stitches…just knit them off onto the circular. The first time I used a circ no one was around to tell me, so I slid every stitch from the straight needle over…what a pain!

Actually I didn’t realize that however it seems clear now.

I’m assuming that frog means to tear it down, but now my question is why?
:smiley:

Why does frog mean to unravel? Because you rip-it, rip-it, rip-it…

I’m doing straight knitting with circular needles on this video.

//youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64tcb4vKvk

THAT is funny!!!

Thanks!!! It’s a big help.