Need help with Socks!

I would love to knit socks but have NO idea how to. What is a Gussett? HUH…

Does anyone know where I can get written or video instruction? Thanks again you guys are the best!!:cheering::happydance:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

Here you go! Our own Silver’s Sock Tutorials.:cheering:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]You don’t need to know what a gusset is in order to knit socks. Just follow the pattern and do what it says. When you’re done you’ll have a sock.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Try this one first http://www.lunaticcafe.com/Patterns/Christmas%20Stocking.pdf Then move on to these http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/joanssocks.txt Then you’ll know most everything you need to make a basic sock. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]These are worsted weight socks. By making the Christmas sock pattern, you don’t have to worry about Second Sock Syndrome (SSS), :teehee: as well as making a nice big project so you don’t have to deal with futsy sock yarn and small needles. Joan’s Socks are two strands of ww and make the most wonderful house socks, bed socks, or socks with Birks. Again no futzy little needles and yarn. After these you’ll have the mechanics of how a sock is made down pat and then you can move on to “real” socks. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]Socks are easy. Just take each part as it comes. Cuff (ribbing in the round), leg (knitting in the round), heel flap (flat knitting), turn the heel (short rows), pick up the sts, decrease, foot (knitting in the round), and toe (decreases). Remember it’s just a tube with a heel and toe.:lol:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

a sock is basically a tube
you can knit tube socks

you can knit a tube, and make afterthought heels.

even a flap/turned/gusset heel is just a small part of sock,
(on average, 30 stitches,30 rows for flap… if you mess up, its very small amount of knitting to frog and reknit!)

in the not so distant past, (150 years ago) making socks was considered childs work…

[B]You can do it![/B]

I second Ingrid’s suggestion!! :thumbsup:

I didn’t attempt my first sock until my then 5th grader came home with the socks he had knit in school and told me not to worry, he’d help me with my Kitchener stitch. “It’s easy,” he said!

That is when I knew I’d have to learn to knit socks!

A great book is Sensational Knitted Socks, written by Charlene Schurch. She outlines a couple of methods for knitting socks (4 dps, 5dps, an 2 circs) as well as a large number of stitch patterns. I taught myself to knit socks from this book.

Oh yeah, Silver’s tutorial is great! I didn’t use it while I was knitting my first pair of socks, but I had familiarized myself with it so I had a good understanding of basic structure before I started my first pair. Also, Amy has a video of turning a sock heel, and that’s especially helpful if you need to see a video of someone actually doing it, rather than just pictures.

But for an overall tutorial of how to make great socks, with endless possibilities to customize and personalize, you just can’t beat Silver. I don’t know about you all, but she’s my personal hero. :notworthy::muah:

She’s the queen of Socks!

What method do you use for the “afterthought” heel … just a piece of waste yarn on 1/2 stitches?

Linda

yes, that will work (or you can cut the knitting, and unravel stitches, (pick up the live stitches from the unraveled edge)
and weave in the tails from the cut…

but that is not for the faint hearted!

half the stitches, about 1.5 inches from end of foot, or when instep side of sock is at mid point between foot and leg.

the heel can be knit several ways, (for self striping yarn, a round heel (just like a round toe shape) makes for a bulls eye heel!

but you can also shape heel similar to a flat (french toe)

there are endless possibilities!

:notworthy: Oh yes!! Silver is the Sock Goddess!!

SILVER! she made making socks easy. and once you tackle one, you’re ready to tackle them all. seriously! silver rocks!