Need help with knitting pattern - Patt to end?

Hi All,
My name is Julie and I am new to knitting. Right now I am knitting an easy sweater pattern but have run into part of the pattern I don’t understand. I’m hoping someone can help me. There are actually 2 parts of the pattern I’m not sure about.

Part 1:
While knitting the left front of the pattern, the instructions read: *K1, P1, rep from * to last 3 sts, (I understand this part). The next instruction reads: K1, yfwd, sl1, yb, k1. Wouldn’t this require 4 stitch and not 3? I would knit a stitch, yfwd a stitch to make 2 stitches, slip 1 stitch, bring the yard to the back of my needle and knit the last stitch?

Part 2:
This next instruction I do not understand at all reads: Next row (WS): Patt to end, dec 1 st at end of row. 28 sts. What does it mean to Pattern to end?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Welcome to KH and to knitting! Can you tell us the pattern name and post a link if you can? It helps us help you when we can see what it looks like.

Hi Jan_in_CA, Thank you for your help. The pattern name is Sucre Cardigan by Sarah Hatton and the link to the site that I got the pattern from is http://www.allfreeknitting.com/?gclid=CLi9_NGVks8CFY08gQodXbwHGQ

Hi Julie and welcome. Thanks for the pattern link.
K1, yfwd, sl1, yb, k1 uses 3 stitches. Yfwd can be ambiguous and depend on the context. Because of the nearby yb this isn’t a yarn over. It means bring the yarn to the front, slip one, bring the yarn to the back. So the 3sts are the k1, the sl1 and the second k1.

By the way, a yarn over won’t use a stitch either. It’s simply bringing the yarn to the front between the needles and then over the right needle to the back.

Thank you so much for the help. I was wondering if that is what Yfwd meant for this pattern. Will you be able to help me with the second part of the pattern I don’t understand? What does it mean when it says to Pattern to end? I understand I should decrease 1 st at the end of the row but I’m not sure what the 28 sts. means.

It means to work in whatever pattern stitch you’ve established in the previous rows. In this case, the k1p1 rib pattern. Make sure the columns of knits and purls line up as you work across the row.

Thank you for all of your help! :hugs: