Need help understanding how to do increases in pattern on Jane Seymour sweater by Alice Starmore

Hello Knitters,

My name is Nonnie and I am brand new to this forum. I am hoping that someone much more experienced than I am can help me figure out how to solve the issue of continuing to work the Jane Seymore sweater pattern while simultaneously increasing stitches.

I am knitting the back of the Jane Seymour sweater by Alice Starmore and have completed the first 14 rows of the pattern. Now it’s time for increases, but I am not sure how to do them “in pattern”. The pattern produces a geometric design where the Corncrake yarn zig zags back and forth across the width of the 10 pattern stitches and touches a straight corncrake row in the center of each pattern. I have figured out how to do this pattern. However, I’m at a loss as to how to do the increases and still keep the symmetry of the overall pattern.

Row 1 (RS): K1 Corncrake; reading from right to left, beg at the second stitch st of the 10 patt sts and patt the 9 sts; then rep the 10 patt sts 11[12,13,14] times; k1 Corncrake.
Row 2 (WS): P1 Corncrake; reading from left to right rep the 10 patt sts 11[12,13,14] times; pat the first 9 sts of rep; p1 Corncrake.

Here’s where I’m confused.
Continue as set (working first and last sts in k on RS rows and p on WS rows throughout, and after working through row 14 of chart, rep rows 3 through 14 as indicated) and inc 1 st at each end of row 7[row 5, row 3, row] and every foll 3rd row until there are 153 [167,181,195] sts, working all inc sts into patt but always working the first and last sts in k on RS rows and p on WS rows. Work 4[4,4,2] more rows without shaping thus working 56[60,64,68] chart patt rows in total, thus ending with RS facing for next row.

I’d be most grateful if someone here can here help me figure this out. Thanks!!!

Welcome to KH!

Usually, the easiest thing to do with these increases is to make them as either knit or purl sts on the increase row and then on the next row, incorporate them into the pattern. You won’t have a full pattern repeat but only part of the repeat.

Thanks much. I’ll give that a try and let you know how it goes. From the photo above, I have the impression that you’ve made this sweater, too. Is that correct?

I haven’t made the sweater but both patterns are very good looking. I gather one is from the original book Tudor Roses and the other perhaps from a new edition.
We’d love to see your finished sweater!

Hi Salmonmac,
I’m giving your advice a try for the increases.

It’s been a long while since I’ve done much knitting, and I have probably done as much “unknitting” in this project as I have actual knitting. I think the sweater is beautiful and am intrigued by the challenge. However, I find that if I don’t pay careful attention, it’s easy to mess up. And the tension is a bit tricky creating the diagonals of the pattern. I’ve definitely bitten off as much, and possibly more, than I can chew with this pattern.

I know it’s going to take me awhile to complete the project. And I’m trying to figure out how best to adapt it to my own measurements as I work. I’m shorter by about 1.5 inches than what the smallest pattern size calls for so, I’ll have to figure out how to get in the proper amount of increases in the right places. I also don’t see what the wearing ease is that is factored into this garment. Unlike the last sweater I made this one is closely fitted. However, my knitting so far looks ample even without increases. I think there’s going to be some more trial and error to this before I’m done, but hopefully, it will be as lovely when complete as it looks on the cover of “Tudor Roses”.
Thanks for your help and support! I do very much appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Nonnie

Yes, it’s not a simple pattern to work, and making adjustments as you go to the shaping adds to the complexity. Can you take measurements so that you have an idea of where to place the shaping? Would measurements from a sweater you already have help?
It’ll certainly be lovely when all is said and done. Good luck with it!