Neck and shoulder shaping

I have a question regarding reading a knitting pattern. I am knitting a sweater and I am knitting to the armholes ending with the WS row. Then the pattern said “worked center (16) sts with removable marker. Shape shoulder and neck: on next RS row, BO (4) sts to m join new yarn and BO center (16) sts, knit to end.”

I am lost I don’t understand what does it mean with the instruction can anyone please explain to me?

Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Welcome to the forum!
What is the name of your pattern?
It sounds like it should read: Shape shoulder and neck: on next RS row, BO (4) sts, knit to m join new yarn and BO center (16) sts, knit to end.”

Bind off the first 4sts of the row, knit to the marker and drop the working yarn. Join a new end of yarn, bind off the center 16sts and knit to the end of the row. You’ll now have two sections of live sts on the needle separated by a gap of 16 bound off sts. Work each shoulder with its own strand of yarn from now on.

This video shows the neckline cast off although it doesn’t show the addition of a second yarn strand:

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and the link of resource to me. I really appreciated it!

My pattern called Tilted Duster by Norah Gaughan. This is my first time following pattern to make garment and I am really confused :grimacing: I am working on the back pieces and it is the beginning piece and I am not able to follow the instruction. With the explanation you provided to me I am having a better understanding. Hopefully, I can do it. Thank you again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and the link of resource to me. I really appreciated it!

My pattern called Tilted Duster by Norah Gaughan. This is my first time following pattern to make garment and I am really confused :grimacing: I am working on the back pieces and it is the beginning piece and I am not able to follow the instruction. With the explanation you provided to me I am having a better understanding. Hopefully, I can do it. Thank you again.

I am sorry, but I have one more question I am working ending with 56 stitches when it federal to mark center 16 stitches what does it mean? Is it mean I bind off 16 stitches in the center and left and right is 20-16-20?

Essentially that sounds like the way the shoulders and neck divide. To make it easier to knit the designer suggests putting markers on the needle to mark off the center 16sts. Then you knit up to the first marker, slip it off the needle and begin the bind off.
If you’ve bound off the first 4sts you should end the row with
20-16 bound off-16-4 bound off. On the next row you’ll probably begin with binding off 4sts so that you have 16-neck opening-16.

Thank you so very much I was beginning to give up but with you help I feel I can continue with the pattern. Thank you very much Mac!

So is it mean with when the bind off I should have 16-16-16? I am so lost with the bind off :sob: I don’t really understand. I am sorry can you explain again? :grimacing: Hope you don’t mind.

This is the instruction and I am not sure how many row to knit until bindis off.
Shape shoulder and neck: on next RS row BO 4 sts, knit to m, join new yarn and BO center 16 sts knit to end. On next WS row, BO 4 sts at beg of first group of sts, purl to end of first group, purl across second group 16 sts each side. At each neck edge, BO 5 sts 2 times, and at the same time, BO 3 sts at each shoulder edge 2 times - no sts rem.
I read the instruction and combine with your explanation I still don’t understand :confounded::sob: please HELP!

You have 56sts on the needle. Put markers on either side of the center 16sts. The needle will look like this: 20|16|20.
Start the row by binding off the first 4sts. That means, k2, lift stitch one over stitch 2 and off the right needle. Continue like that until you’ve dropped 4sts over and off.

Now knit up to the first marker. Drop the marker, k2 and lift stitch one over stitch 2 and off. Continue like that until you’ve dropped 16sts off the needle. Knit to the end of the row. The needle will look like this: 20–16 bound off sts–16sts–4bound off sts.

Turn to the WS and bind off 4sts, purl to the center neck gap, drop the yarn strand, pick up the strand attached to the other shoulder and bind off 5sts at the neck edge, purl to the end of the row.
Turn to the RS, bind off 3sts (this is the armhole edge), knit to the neck gap, drop the strand of yarn, pick up the yarn attached to the other shoulder and bind off 5sts at the neck edge and knit to the end.
Repeat like the above binding off 3sts when you start an armhole edge and 5 sts when you start a neck edge until you’re left with one stitch on the needle on each side, cut the yarn leaving about a 6" tail to weave in later. Pull the yarn through the last stitch.

Thank you so much! I think I got it :blush: I was so discourage but with your instruction I feel hopeful. Thank you so very much.

Knitting and reading patterns can be discouraging, for all of us. There’s always a way through it. Good luck with the rest of the project and come back if there are more questions.
Of course, we’d love to see a photo when you finish.

Hi, I have another question :0) my next piece is Right Front. The instruction asked to CO 40 sts. Beg and ending with WS, work 3 rows even in St st. Dec row: (RS) knit to last 4 sts, ssk, k2-1 st dec’d at side edge.

My question is when I started with 3 rows ST I will be end up at the WS, how can I be deceasing on the RS? Is that mean I start dec in row 5? Also, I am not sure what it said be and ending with WS. If you have a chance please clarify for me please? I would really appreciated it! ~Amie