My new circular needles are too "circular"!

I just bought a new pair of 16" bamboo circular needles - desparate to learn to on them - but they are so circular that they are getting in the way. Is there anyway to straighten them a bit?

TIA :slight_smile:

Put the cord in very hot water for a few, and I’ve also read that a hot hair dryer can help straighten the cords out.

Now, if only I could knit on them without getting frustrated! I so badly want to learn to make hats.

It’ll be alot easier without the cord sproinging up in your way.

I am hoping that is my problem. I have tried using the method taught in the video, but I cannot hold the yarn in my left hand like that.

You don’t have to. Amy knits continental, but you can knit English with circs just as you do with regular needles, if that’s your preference. I’m an English knitter, too, and there’s never a time when conti is necessary.

Alrighty, thanks! I will have to give that a try.

There may be hope that I don’t have to make scarves my whole life. I have been knitting for 5 years and that is all I make :doh:

There’s a whole world open to you out there–give it a shot.

Here’s a site that has pics on knitting in the round, if that will help.

http://www.littleturtleknits.com/circknitting.htm

Thanks, Ingrid! You are a life-saver :slight_smile:

So Jill, did you get your needles straightened out. Literally? :smiley: Can’t wait to see your first hat!

I haven’t had a chance yet! Yesterday was my anniversary - I thought it was more important to spend time with Bob than to straighten needles :roflhard:

And you call yourself a KNITTER?!! :rofling:

I know I know! I told him that he gets 1 day a year of my undivided attention and that was yesterday. I must admit that last night when we got home from dinner I sat in the chair knitting a baby blanket while he watched basketball on TV. It wasn’t long afterwards, that I fell asleep!

Are we getting old or what?

My hubby learned that if I’m crocheting {or now knitting} while sitting with him, and I don’t have the pattern beside me, that he is getting my undivided attention… me working on something brainless while spending time with him is about the limit of what he’s learned to expect from me!

I tried putting my circulars it some hot water and it worked! Nice and round instead of all loopy! I just put some water in a shallow but big round plastic bowl and put it in the microwave on high for 5 minutes (water started out cold). I put the plastic cord part in for a minute and took and out and pulled it straight and held it, and it did the trick! Thanks for the tip!

And… once you get them straightened out, if you store them straight (instead of coiled up) they’ll stay straight all the time. I use a homemade gadget like the Circular Solution, works great & no more curled up circs!