Mock Cable

I’m a new knitter and have been working my way through the basics with the help of, mainly, The Knitter’s Handbook. I have realised as I’ve gone along that I don’t need to know every stitch as likely I’ll never use them and if I do I’ll figure it out at the time, but there is this one Mock Cable (back) and I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it (and I have not seen any other mock cables like this)

This is what it says - take the RH needle in front of the first 2 stitches and knit the 3rd stitch. knit the 4th stitch. Leave all 4 stitches on the LH needle. Knit the 2nd stitch on the LH needle. Knit the 1st stitch.
Slip all 4 stitches off the needle.

So, HOW do I knit into the 3rd stitch (without slipping the others off the needle) and slip all four stitches off - where exactly?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this, I may not need to ever do it but it frustrates me that I can’t figure it out.

Welcome!
Actually the technique or a variation on it, may come up in knitting projects. The idea is that you knit into the stitch but don’t slip it off the left needle. It’s kind of like a knit front and back (kfb) where you pull the yarn through on the right needle but don’t slip the loop off the left needle till the very end.

This tutorial shows a similar, but smaller twisted stitch. The first diagram looks quite weird to me because the right needle is sitting on top of the left. You can knit into that stitch the usual way.

But I can’t knit into the third stitch (never mind the 4th, 2nd and1st) - the first 2 stitches are in the way! What am I doing wrong!? As I say, the first 2 stitches are in my way, how do I do it?

Take the right hand needle and put it into the 3rd stitch, wrap the yarn around it and pull the yarn through. Don’t complete the knit stitch however. Don’t slide the 3rd stitch off the left needle. As you say, you can’t slide it off because the first and 2nd sts are in the way.
Now do the same thing with the 4th stitch. You’ll have 2 new sts on the right needle and you’ll still have the same 4sts on the left needle. See if that works for the first part of the stitch instructions.

Thank you, I shall try that tomorrow - when I have not had a glass or three of wine! I may never use this stitch - but I want to know that I can and right now I just don’t understand how. As I say, I shall try tomorrow, thanks.