matress seam on seed stitch?

Hi knitters,

I’m STILL making my first project, a baby bonnet. I have to vertical seam the back. I viewed a “how to” mattress stitch seam video, but it only shows the method on garter or stockinette. It all looks neat and tidy, but when I use that technique on my seed stitch sides or ribbing, it’s really messy. The “bars” of the knits are not obvious so I end up randomly matching sides and the seam becomes very visible. In the videos the seams look invisible.

Is there any technique to use mattress stitch on different patterns, such as seed stitch, etc.?

Thanks!

Here’s a video that may help

The idea is to go into the bar between sts. Keeping that line in mind or maybe even marking it with a contrasting sewing thread may help

Here’s another way to seam seed stitch with mattress stitch using the purl bumps

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

When I tried it though I saw that the bump on one side didn’t always have a corresponding bump on the other. What is the problem here? Seaming is turning out to be harder than knitting!

This knitter says that you can only use the mattress stitch for seed stitch if you have an even number of stitches. http://www.arendaholladay.com/2013/08/it-is-nice-to-be-home.html

Maybe that’s the issue?

Urgh, I’m starting to hate this seaming business.

If you don’t have an equal number of rows on each side, I fudge the seam in this sense. Sometimes I pick up through 2 rows on one side and 1 row on the opposite side. It’s not perfect but it’s not glaring either.
An alternative is to use a back stitch to seam from the inside of the bonnet.

The drawings here are much clearer for me than the description.
It’ll give you a neat seam. I often use this kind of seam

Thanks a lot. Fortunately I didn’t have to seam the seed stitch, it was a mistake, but I’ll make note of the backstitch for next time.

What do you do about the top of the bonnet (you know, when the seam turns into a circle)? I want a neat crisp point, but it’s all kind of untidy. Sigh.

This is not a technique question, but what do you do with your first knitted goods that aren’t that great? Would you give the baby bonnet to the pregnant friend anyway? I guess I’m coming to terms to terms with the fact that my ten next pieces won’t be bad enough to unravel, but won’t be good enough to gift proudly…

If a seam doesn’t work the first time, I usually try it again to see if I can correct the messiness. I’m often happier the second time around.

Sometimes we’re our own worst critics. Where others see a lovely handmade item, we see the mistakes jumping out at us.

As far as first real projects, I was fortunate to practice on my children. The first sweaters weren’t perfect but they didn’t complain and the photos are carful not to show the mistakes. Friends have given me hand knits at times and I’m genuinely thrilled with them. The idea that they would take the time to knit or crochet is amazing and wonderful.