Make 5 stitch (M5)

The pattern tells me to make 5 stitches into the same stitch (i.e., p1, k1, p1, k1, p1)? How exactly do you do this? I tried but the stitch gets really tight after the first k1 making it impossible to do much more. I would really appreciate any insight on this. Thank you!!!

[edited] Pull the first p stitch out a bit with the righthand needle, loosening it up, before switching the yarn to the back for the knit stitch. Keep your stitches loose.

Thanks again for the response, but I’m still unsure about it. I’ll give it another go and play around with it until it looks right. One more quick question, though. When the pattern asks for “no stitch,” does it mean to slip the stitch?

No, just don’t do any stitch there at all, skip it and work the next one. That block is for the chart to come out right especially if you inc or dec 5 sts at once. The chart is square, knitting isn’t always…

Hi Suzeeq! A question from your response. When you say “skip it and work the next one,” do you mean dropping the stitches? Also, I’m still having trouble with the M5. I’m moving the yarn to the front or back as needed to k or p, but I’m not sure if I’m inserting the right needle into the left correctly. It’s confusing since I’m not supposed to let the stitch off the left needle until I make all 5 stitches into it.

Check out the video on this website for the Trinity Stitch, which shows knitting and purling in the same stitch: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3502420,00.html
You do the same, but start with a purl stitch.

…and Suzee does not mean drop the stitches. She means ignore the blank (black) square (or no stitch instruction) and go on to the next and work that.

No don’t drop it, just pretend the [B]block[/B] in the isn’t there.