Made a cable where I shouldn't have, help

This is my first post and I love what I’ve read on these boards so far. Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.

I started making a sweater for my dog and made a mistake of making a cable sooner than I should have and didn’t notice it until it was too late. I’m 2" past this goof up and was wondering if I am going to have to rip it all out?

Is there any way of fixing it without having to do that?

There is a way to fix this, but you might like tearing it out better.

You can knit to where your mistake is and drop the stitches that are mistaken, letting them run right down to a point where the knitting is right. (If it’s a six-stitch cable, let down alll six stitches.) Then you can pick each stitch up with a crochet hook (from the right side for knit stitches, from the wrong side for purl). You can’t really do this one stitch at a time, because of the crossed stitches involved in a cable.

I read Elizabeth Zimmerman about just this problem and she dropped the stitches all at once, then took double-pointed needles and knitted them back up to where she was in her knitting. I’m not sure how you would do that – what would be your working yarn, how you’d get started.

Or: you can just tear back to the spot and start again. After only two inches, that might just be as easy as fixing it with a crochet hook.

I’ve done what BillSpace describes EZ doing… your working yarn would be the yarn from the row above. It can be a little difficult to negotiate since you don’t have any slack to work with. In your case, I would probably use a crochet hook – let all the cable stitches drop down to the point before the mistake (as Bill said) and build the columns back up one as a time. I would be concerned about the area of the cross-over being a bit loose after it’s re-knit, but it might be something to try. If it doesn’t work, you could always frog.

If you need instructions on how to use the crochet hook to fix mistakes, see Amy’s video on how to fix a run/dropped stitches under the fixing mistakes heading on this page. You would be intentionally dropping stitches to undo the mistake and then re-doing them correctly.

Yikes, that sounds daunting, but I think I’ll give it a try and if it doesn’t work then I’ll frog as you say. :teehee:

Thank you so much for your help. :heart:

I’ve fixed dropped stitches in my knitted socks the way Bill described EZ’s method. I’d probably try that first.

I’d insert a DPN into the affected stitches in the last correct row (directly below the twist) and ladder the stitches down to there and re-knit them. I might even use a slightly smaller DPN needle than my project so that the stitches wouldn’t get too stretched out of shape; the gauge would most likely even out on its own.

I fear this is too late, but just in case… look what I happened to just come across! What we have been trying to describe in words, but with pictures! Technically, the directions show how to re-cross a mis-crossed cable – same thing you need to do, except for the re-crossing part. This means you can just go right onto the crochet needle after dropping the stitches. :happydance:

Jane – that is a great bit of instructional writing. Thanks for pointing us to it.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I did do what you suggested and it worked!! I’m so happy. It’s taking me so darn long to do this sweater and it’s driving me crazy and just the thought of ripping all those stitches out made me crazy.

They are a little stretched out, but not nearly as bad as when I first took them out. Sheesh they looked terrible, but once it’s washed and dried you’ll never know I did it. Even better!!

:heart:

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: