Looser stitches when knitting in the round

I have a problem, when I knit in the round the stitch(es) between the needles is always a little looser. It’t not noticable until the fabric is stretched, like when it is worn. I’ve tried tightening the yarn; I tightened it as much as I possibly could and hurt my fingers but it was still happening.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to possibly fix it after it’s been knitted?

(Please don’t tell me to shift the stitches around. It’s a pain to do and it doesn’t actually solve the problem, just moves it around.)

Are you a new knitter? Are you talking about when you use DPN or circular needles? Are you knitting stockinette?

PM sent

It happens on DPNs and circular, no matter if I’m doing ribbing or normal stockinette or lace, but lace hides it better. I’ve been knitting for over a year now, so I guess I’m an intermediate or advanced beginner when it comes to knitting.

On DPN make sure the needle you just finished and the next one are as close together as possible. I have to have both ends of the needle I’m knitting from on top of the other two needles and be sure I have the working needle over the others and not working from underneath. On circular needles if you are using a loop make sure the cable is close to the needle tip you are working from. Try snugging up the second and third stitches whatever needles you use.

I agree with GG about DPN. I actually kind of hold the other needles together with my fingers, too. I have an ornament on DPN. I’ll try to get a picture.

I want to see your ornament!

I thought I would never be able to knit with DPs but finally something clicked and now it’s easier for me to avoid laddering with them than with circs. I still haven’t managed to actually start from the CO to get going with them but I can do knitting in the round for fingers and thumbs on them. I guess we each have to find our own solution, trying others’ suggestions can help get there.

Don’t pull too tightly on the stitch after the needle change. Just a slight tug should do it. Also, I’ve found that knitting with 5 dpns (sts on 4 needles and a 5th working needle) is better because the tension at the ends is less.
This does get better with practice.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I’ll keep practicing it and keep all your advice in mind.