Little help please?

I’m trying to make a king sized blanket. I know that my king size is 60×80 but I’m trying to use baby bernat vanilla and I’m trying to figure out how many skeins I need. I know that I need 138 stitches for 30 inches meaning I’d need 276 stitches for my 60 inch cast on. I have 220 yards in my 10.5 ounce skein. I was thinking I can just knit a series of smaller blankets and weave them all together. But that still doesn’t change my problem. If I were to make a 30x30 inch baby blanket I’d still need another skein to finish it. I got halfway through a blanket for my infant daughter and realized I’m gonna need more yarn. This is the super bulky bernat baby blanket yarn and it disappears before I can even get 5 or 6 rows completed. I casted on 140 stitches the first time which is only 2 stitches more than 30 inches. I figured maybe if she’s just gonna grow and grow maybe I should just make a big giant one that will never be too small.

If you’ve used up one skein of yarn on a section of a baby blanket, then measure the size of that piece and calculate the area. You can then calculate the area of the king size blanket (60x80=4800) and scale up the number of skeins needed. Since this is an estimate, you might add in an extra skein or two of this yarn.

2 Likes

Thanks much. Everyone on here is so helpful.