Lifted increase?

What is this? I can’t find anything describing it anywhere. Is it known by another name? How do you do it? Do you do it on knit stitches? Purl stitches?

I think it’s the M1 described in the increase section of Basic Techniques. Can be done on knit or purl stitches.


I would recommend though that you look at the M1L or M1R, not the M1A or M1T. I find that the M1A and M1T are basically the same as a backward loop cast on and can leave a hole. Here’s the page:

Okay, I’m too lazy to go look it up right now, but I’m pretty sure that according to one of my books, “lifted increases” are what Amy calls KRL and KLL. The M1L and M1R are “strand increases.” The lifted are supposed to be a bit more invisible, but don’t work well when you don’t have at least one row between them because they will pull. M1L and M1R don’t have that problem. I don’t think it matters that much which ones you use as long as it looks okay to you.

If you decide to do M1L and M1R and you are having trouble with them because they’re too tight to work, one trick I just learned about is to do a YO increase, and then work the YO twisted on the following row. I believe it is essentially the same thing, structurally. It may come out a bit looser, but is easier to do.

Would that be like knitting in the back of the next stitch or the one in the previous row?


For instructions on KRL and KLL, you can look at Amy’s page on increases. You are lifting a loop from below.

BTW, I think I mispoke when I said “raised” was the same as “lifted.” I corrected that in my post. It appears that the term is not used very consistently, sometimes referring to lifted, some times referring to strand.

Okay, I just looked everything up so as not to give any misinformation, and I think everything is right. Strand increase can also be called running thread increase, incidentally. (Wouldn’t it be nice if someone actually standardized these terms?)

For instructions on KRL and KLL, you can look at Amy’s page on increases. You are lifting a loop from below.

Yep, and that’s what I meant.


It looks as if the lifted stitch (according to Vogue Knitting) IS
the KLL and KRL. Do you knit into the horizontal bar across the back of the stitch (knit) or the vertical thread of the stitch? Would that be the distinction between the lifted increase and the KLL (or KRL)?


Ignore the previous post, I figured it out, I had two different increases mixed up. Now my question is, how do you do the lifted increase on a purl side? Amy’s video only shows the knitting side.


This is what my (Montse Stanley) book says for lifted increases from the purl side…

Right - p1; with left needle pick up head of stitch below st just taken off needle, from the back, p-b

Left - p head of st below next stitch; p1

BTW, I have been using the crossed yarn over increase (the one where you do a YO on one row and then knit the YO twisted on the next row) on a current project, and I actually like the way it looks better than the M1L and M1R increases. For me, the fact that they are not as tight makes them lie more smoothly. Another cool thing is that the direction of the slant is determined by the the direction of the yarn over. You don’t have to remember whether back to front or front to back is the one that slants this way or that.

Question… why, when doing a KRL (Knit Right Loop) do you go ONE stitch down and on the KLL (Knit Left Loop) you go TWO stitches down? I have a pattern that uses a lifted increase that states to go one row down either way. Is this a different type of stitch or a typo on the instructions. HELP?

ALSO… when knitting a raglan, for example, if you are looking at the BACK of the item (knitting TOP DOWN), is the KRL on the right side of the back or the left? Confused yet? I am.

When you do the KLL, you’ll have already knit the stitch on the row you’re on, so you have to go down to the st on the row below that. With KLR you haven’t knit the stitch yet.

I get confused on the L/R thing myself, but I put KLL on the right side and the KLR on the left side.