Lift 4 stitches over 1st stitch

I’ve tried this numerous times and just can’t seem to get it right. I’m trying to knit a hat from Lucinda Guy’s Handknits for Kids, Wooly Cap and Scarf (p. 100).

Row 1: K1 *yo, K5, lift 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sts over the first st, rep from * to last st, yo, K1.

I’ve never run into this type of pattern before and I’m not sure if I’m just not “getting the lift over” or what, but I’ve ripped it out several times and am about to give up. Has anyone else run into this? I’m also curious if anyone has made anything from this book. The patterns are ADORABLE, but I’ve yet to make something.

Thanks!

Sounds like popcorn st or maybe some variation. Have you watched the PSSO video? It may help you out. Keep in mind that I think your work will get tight around the “popcorn”, but that’s only natural since your stretching one st over so many others. Hope that helps!

I did this on a shrug, and it is just like psso, but one at a time.

I’ll try it once again. It sounds so simple, but I think it was the tightness that was really driving me crazy and then I wasn’t sure of how the order should go. Do you know what I mean? The four stitches that were passed in order or reverse order? I kept hoping it would get easier as I went along, but my frustration level just kept rising.

It’s more of an eyelet-type stitch for the edging of the hat rather than a popcorn. I’ll keep you posted!