Lengthened armsye, so how do I space decreasing on sleeve?

Okay, so I made thissweater and it was too short from the armhole up. I took it apart and added about 2" and re-did the shoulder seams (Thanks to help from Suzeeq & Ingrid), and thought I could easily extend the sleeves, but I’m stuck. Do I need to frog back the entire sleeve shaping (please say no!) or can I just frog back part of it?
(I confess, I’m math-challenged! I think that’s the problem!) I frogged back a little and [COLOR=Red]have 30 stitches OTN[/COLOR]. Where do I go from here?

Here are the original instructions:[INDENT][SIZE=1][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Shape cap: Cast off 5 sts, k to end of round, turn. Cast off 5 sts, p to end. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
Decrease row: k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; 2 sts decreased.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/INDENT][COLOR=Red]I think THIS is the section that I’ll have to re-do part of–just not sure where to start:[/COLOR][INDENT] [COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Rep decrease row every RS row 5 times more, then every 4th row 2 times, then again every RS row 6 times. Cast off 2 sts at beg of next 4 rows. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. Cast off rem 14 sts.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/INDENT]THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING ME!

I think you just made the armhole shorter on the body, right? You probably did the shoulder shaping the same, so you leave the cap the same to match. You would shorten the length between the underarm shaping and the cap shaping.

No, I made it 2" LONGER. Now I have to ADD 2" to make the sleeve match the armseye…

Okay, I may have confused you with someone else. But in any case, the length for the top of the sleeve is changeable between the underarm shaping and the cap shaping. Take a look at the pattern from underarm to top and see if it doesn’t say `knit X rows/inches’ before the cap shaping. That’s where you’d adjust it.

That’s what I was HOPING it would say, but it doesn’t. Here’s what it DOES say:[INDENT][SIZE=1][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Shape Sleeve: Cast off 5 sts, k to end of round, turn. Cast off 5 sts, p to end. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
Decrease row: k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1; 2 sts decreased.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/INDENT][COLOR=Red]I think THIS is the section that I’ll have to re-do part of–just not sure where to start:[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Rep decrease row every RS row 5 times more, then every 4th row 2 times, then again every RS row 6 times. Cast off 2 sts at beg of next 4 rows. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows. Cast off rem 14 sts.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

K let’s see here…hmmmmm…
K I saw the directions there and the only place that I can see to add is where it says “then every 4th row 2 times,” I would increase the amount of rows between decreases here. I don’t know what your gauge is, but this seems like the only place one could add length in the armhole shaping. You say you need two inches altogether. Hmm, are you using the same yarn that is called for in the pattern? If it is you’ll have to fit in 15 rows somewhere there. K if the decreases are done every 8th row instead of every 4th then that will give you 8 more rows now for 7 more somewhere hmmmm. K after you’ve done the “then every 4th row 2 times,” (except now it’ll be every 8th row instead) then work an extra row straight before starting the last bit of decreases," then again every RS row 6 times." and on those do them on every OTHER RS row. That will give you the 15 extra rows you need for the 2"
I hope that helps ya.:x:

That’s what I would think too, make the decrease rows further apart. Is this a raglan sleeve?

nah suz, it’s a set in sleeve.

Just a suggestion you might want to try. I’ve done this when resizing patterns or using a diff gauge.

Map out the slope of the orig cap decs on knitting graph paper. (You only need to do one half of cap as it’s a mirror image.) Then redraw it 2" longer/higher/taller and work to achieve a similar shape/slope. Take note of where the decs would now be or if they might’ve changed (dec 3 on a row instead of 4, for instance, as the slope may now be more gradual) or if you’ll be doing more decs but in smaller increments (if you orig needed to be a total of 16 sts as 4-4-4-4, but now will done as 4-3-3-3-3).

cam

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Fibrenut, Yes, I’m using the same yarn it calls for in the pattern. I don’t know why I couldn’t wrap my mind around it before, but your instructions make perfect sense. :cheering:

If I had thought to chart it out like you suggested, Cam, I probably could have done it. :doh:

If you’re going to frog back the cap to redo you could still map it out. Just plug in the orig decs and then do the revised version. You’re working from the pattern instructions.

Attached is pic of cap I redid. One on right is the orig and was too shallow. I needed it softer and longer as on left. Slight variations in the total decs gave the shape I needed. In lower right you can see first dec was 4 sts BO, but on the revised I did 3. Next BO on orig was 3 sts, but I did 2, etc.

cam

:x: Whew!!! Glad I could help ya!!:knitting: