leaving sts between unworked

Hi All,
I am new to crochet (having been knitting for years) and am in the process of crocheting a girls cardigan.

I have got to a part of the pattern which reads:

Body:
_Row 1 (Sleeve Shaping Row): *[(2 dc in ch sp, dc in hdc) across to next V st, work 2 dc in V st, work 3 dc in next V st, leaving sts between unworked, dc in next hdc]; work from * twice, (2 dc in ch sp, dc in hdc) across to end; ch 1, turn. - 97 (109, 121, 133) dc

I don’t know how to leave sts unworked in the middle of the row.
Do I bind off the yarn and start again the other side?

I do hope someone can help with this because I’m stuck at the moment.

:slight_smile:

Many thanks in advance

Claire

Hi Claire and welcome to the forum!

1. Can you give us the name of the pattern or a link to it? Don’t post large portions of the pattern because of copyright problems. The information on Row 1 is perfect.

2. How many sts are you leaving unworked between V stitches?

Hi There,
I’m not sure how many stitches between the V stitches. I think (if I’m reading it correctly) its 14, then you repeat that so another 14, then 23, then 14 and lastly 12.

Here’s a link to the pattern:
http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/A290_CherubAranFlowerFriendlySweater&Headband.pdf

When you end the last row 4 of the repeat body pattern you should have 4 V sts. On row 1 under Sleeve Shaping you’ll work to the first V, skip sts to the next V, and repeat this once more (two times total). The 2 openings made by leaving sts between the 1st and 2nd Vs and between 3rd and 4th Vs unworked are the sleeve openings.
Just let that portion of the crocheted fabric with the unworked sts fold out or buckle. You’ll get to those sts later when you work the sleeves.

Thank you for your help. I’m finding it a bit difficult to picture it at the moment but hopefully all will become clear when I get to it :slight_smile:

Well, I got to the part that was confusing me and now feel a bit foolish! Once I had skipped the sts to the next V, it was so obvious why and how it worked!
I can’t believe I was so confused about it! :blush:

Thanks again for your help.

That’s good to hear. Some things just make more sense when you actually see them on the hook or needles. Enjoy working the rest of the sweater!