Learning how to knit. Help please!

Hello. I have been an avid crocheter for about 25 years. I am interested in learning how to knit. I was showed when I was young, but just the basics… cast on, knit, & purl. That was as far as I got since I could never get my tension correct. I was 10 and didn’t have the patience and to me crochet was much easier!! Now that I’m older and have found plenty of patience raising four boys I want to jump back on the knitting wagon and give it a go. I have you tube the basics of it and read article upon article on the do’s and don’ts. What I’m not finding is a good beginner needle size. I just want a go to size until I work out tension difficulties and then begin to work on stitches and becoming familiar with them, before jumping into an actual pattern. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Welcome Beccimknot!
We always recommend ~size 8 US needles and light colored wool or acrylic yarn. You may find that your tension has evened out from when you were a kid (4 boys will do that) but this is a good place to start.
There’s more information here that may help:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

I suggest a worsted weight, light colored, smooth yarn. No fuzzy or novelty yarn. A US 8 is a good size to start with. Tension evens out with practice just keep knitting even if you see mistakes or it looks uneven.

Thank you very much! I can’t wait to get started and look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you! Hopefully I will eventually get the hang of it and then I can be on my way knitting actual patterns :slight_smile:

I think your crocheting should have an impact on your tension now, perhaps you should look at continental knitting as it has the working yarn in your left hand?

1 Like

Actually…I crocheted before I knit and I found english knitting easier in the beginning. I think it’s whatever is most comfortable to learn. BTW… Don’t all crocheters use the yarn in the left hand? I do/did.

Knowing how to use both hands is a valuable skill, but not necessary. I did teach myself continental and use both when I fair isle or do miles of ribbing.

I just wondered as with continental you have your yarn in the left hand, whereas in English knitting you hold it in your right. I am only just learning to crochet and can’t knit continental to save my life so happy to be corrected :joy:

Sorry. I thought it sounded you meant crochet was normally in the right hand? I dunno. :joy:

I had a hard time when I started knitting continental which is a little odd I guess since I was used to holding the yarn in my left hand. English just felt more intuitive. When I was making a ribbed scarf one time I said enough and learned continental. It’s also come in handy for fair isle.

I can imagine, I am trying to learn it myself but struggling - I might cheat and use a Tunisian hook!

I hold my yarn in my left hand when I crochet, so knitting like that may be easier. I struggle with moving my stitches up on one needle to get them on the other. I apologize my knit terminology is little to none :blush:It just seems like my loops always stay too far back on my needle. I will get it eventually!!!

Yes, you will get it. Keep practicing. Are you using metal needles? The stitch slides more easily on metal and it may help especially if you’re a tight knitter.

Yes they are metal. I don’t think I’m a tight knitter, it all looks a little loose and stretched out . No biggie though practice makes perfect, or if nothing else a one of a kind design!!! Thanks for all the advice.

I sometimes hold onto the tip of the left needle (so the next sts don’t fall off the end) and scoot the sts up near the tip. Some stitch pattern slide more easily than others.

1 Like